Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Do I need to treat water before storing it?
Rate This FAQ
Water that is stored for long periods should be sanitized or disinfected. To treat water add 1/4 tsp. (16 drops) liquid chlorine bleach (5%) per gallon of water. You may want to rotate your water every few years.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Information for Canning at High Altitudes.
- How do I keep insects out of stored grain?
- When and where do I go to have my pressure canner checked? How often should it be checked?
- Can I use bay leaves or nails in my wheat to protect from insects?
- I grew up eating green beans which were pressure-canned at home. When my mother heated them for a meal, she brought them to a boil then removed the lid and let them boil for at least a minute with the lid off. She said this was necessary to be safe. Is it necessary or was that just something passed down from before pressure canning was available?
- Where should I put my food storage?
- How much food should I store?
- How long can I keep stored foods?