Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Is it save to eat weevil?
Rate This FAQ
It is safe to consume dead weevils. There is a very small risk that live weevils may harbor foodborne illness bacteria if they were recently feeding on contaminated foods.
The FDA allows certain levels of insect parts in foods: http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/%7Edms
If you have grains with live weevils they can be killed using dry ice and sealing the grains in a container. Smaller containers can use oxygen absorber packages.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Information for Canning at High Altitudes.
- I would like to find a recipe for canning apple pie filling that is safe for my elevation. I have looked through your web sites to no avail. Please direct me.
- How to store fesh oranges to last as long as possible?
- How long can I keep stored foods?
- Does my stored food still have any nutritional value?
- I used the approved recipe for canning apple pie filling, including leaving a 1 inch headspace. However, after taking out the jars I noticed that filling had bubbled up out of the jars during processing. The lids seem sealed, but how can I be sure they are safe? Should I have left a larger headspace than 1 inch???
- I am trying to use flour that has been stores for about 30 years. It looks ok and tastes like flour but I have baked two loaves and they will not raise. they taste ok but how nutritional would they be?
- Can I get my pressure cooker tested? When and where? Thanks for a great service! jh