Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Is it save to eat weevil?
Rate This FAQ
It is safe to consume dead weevils. There is a very small risk that live weevils may harbor foodborne illness bacteria if they were recently feeding on contaminated foods.
The FDA allows certain levels of insect parts in foods: http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/%7Edms
If you have grains with live weevils they can be killed using dry ice and sealing the grains in a container. Smaller containers can use oxygen absorber packages.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How to store fesh oranges to last as long as possible?
- Does my stored food still have any nutritional value?
- how do I store fruits and vegetables?
- I have tried pressure canning chicken 4 times now. I've done 2 batches cooked chicken and 2 batches raw chicken. All 4 times most of the water cooked out of the jars. Is this supposed to happen and is the chicken safe for us to eat?
- I just inherited a pressure canner. It's pretty well used and I'm a little nervous about using it. I've never done pressure canning before. Is there a place where I can get it checked out for safety, and how do I learn how to use it.
- I am trying to use flour that has been stores for about 30 years. It looks ok and tastes like flour but I have baked two loaves and they will not raise. they taste ok but how nutritional would they be?
- How long does pectin keep if the box has not been opened?
- Can you use canned food such as soups and vegetables past their use by date and if so how far past can you use them. How long does home canned fruits keep their nutional value?