Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Is it save to eat weevil?
Rate This FAQ
It is safe to consume dead weevils. There is a very small risk that live weevils may harbor foodborne illness bacteria if they were recently feeding on contaminated foods.
The FDA allows certain levels of insect parts in foods: http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/%7Edms
If you have grains with live weevils they can be killed using dry ice and sealing the grains in a container. Smaller containers can use oxygen absorber packages.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What can I store water in?
- How long can I keep stored foods?
- How much food should I store?
- Is it safe to bottle butter? I went to a class and they said it was "canning butter" yet we didn't process it.
- How long does pectin keep if the box has not been opened?
- Can I store wheat, sugar, flour or other products purchased in 25 pound bags in a rubbermaid container? I am looking for space efficient ways to store bulk grains and legumes.
- How to store fesh oranges to last as long as possible?
- I would like to find a recipe for canning apple pie filling that is safe for my elevation. I have looked through your web sites to no avail. Please direct me.