Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Is it save to eat weevil?
Rate This FAQ
It is safe to consume dead weevils. There is a very small risk that live weevils may harbor foodborne illness bacteria if they were recently feeding on contaminated foods.
The FDA allows certain levels of insect parts in foods: http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/%7Edms
If you have grains with live weevils they can be killed using dry ice and sealing the grains in a container. Smaller containers can use oxygen absorber packages.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How much food should I store?
- Can I get my pressure cooker tested? When and where? Thanks for a great service! jh
- How to store fesh oranges to last as long as possible?
- Can you use canned food such as soups and vegetables past their use by date and if so how far past can you use them. How long does home canned fruits keep their nutional value?
- Are jars that have air bubbles in them after bottling, safe?
- Is it safe to bottle butter? I went to a class and they said it was "canning butter" yet we didn't process it.
- This is a food storage question. I have called Iams and Purina re cat food storage. They could not tell me how long I could store their dry food product in an oxygen free envirenment. I would like to store the food in 6 gallon buckets to which an oxygen absorber has been added. I have several members in my ward who are interested in this answer. Do you have any experience with this?
- Can I use bay leaves or nails in my wheat to protect from insects?