Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Is it save to eat weevil?
Rate This FAQ
It is safe to consume dead weevils. There is a very small risk that live weevils may harbor foodborne illness bacteria if they were recently feeding on contaminated foods.
The FDA allows certain levels of insect parts in foods: http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/%7Edms
If you have grains with live weevils they can be killed using dry ice and sealing the grains in a container. Smaller containers can use oxygen absorber packages.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Is it safe to bottle butter? I went to a class and they said it was "canning butter" yet we didn't process it.
- All of the recipes I can find for canning green beans require a pressure canner. Is there a safe way to can green beans using a boiler canner?
- How long does pectin keep if the box has not been opened?
- How much food should I store?
- How much water should I store?
- Do I need to treat water before storing it?
- Are jars that have air bubbles in them after bottling, safe?
- Can powdered milk have a problem with mold?