Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I want to switch my current lawn (bluegrass with some bermudagrass infestation) to a low-water and low-growth grass. I have a front lawn that's in shade most of the day, and the back lawn is mostly in sun. Will dwarf tall fescue work in this situation? Do you have any recommendations for the best DTF variety(s) to use? Also, will the bermudagrass be able to survive on less water and compete with the fescue?
Rate This FAQ
Where are you located? Unless you are in Washington County, bermudagrass it is not technically legal for you to plant it. In Washington County, however, it is legal. If you are thinking of the bermudagrass as more of a weed, then the answer to your question is yes, it will be able to survive on less water and compete with tall fescue.
As far as dwarf tall fescue goes, it should do fine in the conditions that you've described. It's difficult for me to keep up with the latest
varieties, so I would recommend you contact your preferred seed/sod supplier to discuss variety recommendations. It would be really difficult for you to discern differences between varieties for your application anyhow.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am purchasing a 30 year old home with three large (15+ feet) blue spruce trees growing in the front yard. I would prefer not to cut them down, is it possible to transplant a large blue spruce in Utah? If so, who would do it and who would want them?
- I sodded my back yard 3 years ago with RTF. It has not held up well, especially in the higher traffic areas where it is completely dead. Any suggestions?
- When is the best time time to water my lawn? I've heard it's better in the evening because it gives time to soak in and I've heard morning because if you do it at night the lawn will get moldy. Thanks.
- Do you have tips for making my yard more colorful this spring?
- Our grass is dying and we suspect a worm/grub problem since we have seen some yellowish worms come up when we have raked the thatch layer. When is the best time to treat to kill the worms? What is best to kill them if we don't know exactly what species they are? How long after treatment can we prepare and plant new grass seed?
- why wont my lawnmower engine run without a blade on it how do i make run
- when should i apply a preemregent to control the weed oxalis that is in my lawn? can you reccomend a particular product?
- My sycamore tree has brown-reddish spots along the leaf veins. What is it?