Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I want to switch my current lawn (bluegrass with some bermudagrass infestation) to a low-water and low-growth grass. I have a front lawn that's in shade most of the day, and the back lawn is mostly in sun. Will dwarf tall fescue work in this situation? Do you have any recommendations for the best DTF variety(s) to use? Also, will the bermudagrass be able to survive on less water and compete with the fescue?
Rate This FAQ
Where are you located? Unless you are in Washington County, bermudagrass it is not technically legal for you to plant it. In Washington County, however, it is legal. If you are thinking of the bermudagrass as more of a weed, then the answer to your question is yes, it will be able to survive on less water and compete with tall fescue.
As far as dwarf tall fescue goes, it should do fine in the conditions that you've described. It's difficult for me to keep up with the latest
varieties, so I would recommend you contact your preferred seed/sod supplier to discuss variety recommendations. It would be really difficult for you to discern differences between varieties for your application anyhow.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have a large pine tree in our yard that looks like it is dying. Can someone from extension come and look at it and tell me if it is dying or if this summer's heat has just caused it to withdraw in. It gets south and west sunlight all day long. Thanks
- Last year my maple tree started losing leaves. I investigated and found it full of earwigs under the bark. I killed the bugs. The bark is falling off, Can I save my tree? It is over 20 years old.
- I have a curly willow that was topped about four years ago. Now it needs to be trimmed. Can I cut the branches back to where they were cut last?
- I have a 25-foot tall scrub oak that appears to be dying. If it is anthracnose that is killing it, can it be saved? There are some commercial, injectable products that claim success. Is it possible?
- when should i apply a preemregent to control the weed oxalis that is in my lawn? can you reccomend a particular product?
- Due to the dry season, the weeds are overtaking our lawn. Besides watering, is there a weed killer I can apply when it is so hot? Is there a fertilizer or food that would help it?
- How do I keep stray animals out of my yard?
- What tasks should I be doing now in my orchard?