Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can you use canned food such as soups and vegetables past their use by date and if so how far past can you use them. How long does home canned fruits keep their nutional value?
Rate This FAQ
Shelf life dates are created for two reasons (a) safety and (b) quality. As long as the cans are sealed and have not been subjected to high heat or freezing, they will remain commercially sterile and safe. Quality is a different story. The quality shelf life is set by the manufacturer. It is usually the date when the food no longer tastes as good as the original. After the shelf life date certain foods will still retain quality and others will not. You will have to sample some to find out. After opening visually check the food and smell the contents. If anything looks out of the ordinary, discard it. I opened a five year old can of mushrooms packed in water and they smelled awful. It was a chemical degradation of the mushroom. Similarly, I opened a six year old can of pears in lite brine. They were exceptional. Most canned foods will retain all of their nutritional value (calories, protein, minerals), except vitamins. Most likely all of the vitamins degraded and will not offer nutritional benefit. Cooperative Extension recommends that you store canned goods for less than five years.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When canning dry beans is it necessary to rehydrate by soaking them before you can them?
- Do I need to treat water before storing it?
- How long does pectin keep if the box has not been opened?
- What protein content should my stored wheat have?
- Can powdered milk have a problem with mold?
- I used the approved recipe for canning apple pie filling, including leaving a 1 inch headspace. However, after taking out the jars I noticed that filling had bubbled up out of the jars during processing. The lids seem sealed, but how can I be sure they are safe? Should I have left a larger headspace than 1 inch???
- I would like to find a recipe for canning apple pie filling that is safe for my elevation. I have looked through your web sites to no avail. Please direct me.
- I know that I should add lemon juice to bottled tomatoes and tomato juice, but my husband hates sour stuff. Is there an alternative that isn't sour? Is there a recipe for 'V8' that is more palatable?