Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can you use canned food such as soups and vegetables past their use by date and if so how far past can you use them. How long does home canned fruits keep their nutional value?
Rate This FAQ
Shelf life dates are created for two reasons (a) safety and (b) quality. As long as the cans are sealed and have not been subjected to high heat or freezing, they will remain commercially sterile and safe. Quality is a different story. The quality shelf life is set by the manufacturer. It is usually the date when the food no longer tastes as good as the original. After the shelf life date certain foods will still retain quality and others will not. You will have to sample some to find out. After opening visually check the food and smell the contents. If anything looks out of the ordinary, discard it. I opened a five year old can of mushrooms packed in water and they smelled awful. It was a chemical degradation of the mushroom. Similarly, I opened a six year old can of pears in lite brine. They were exceptional. Most canned foods will retain all of their nutritional value (calories, protein, minerals), except vitamins. Most likely all of the vitamins degraded and will not offer nutritional benefit. Cooperative Extension recommends that you store canned goods for less than five years.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a question regarding commercially canned tomatoes. I have read on your website that the nutritional value of vegetables may not be maintained after the expiration date. I have heard somewhere that tomatoes are an exception, and there could be a problem with the tomatoes that would not be able to be detected, and that they should just be discarded at the expiration date for safety's sake. Is this true?
- How do I keep insects out of stored grain?
- When canning dry beans is it necessary to rehydrate by soaking them before you can them?
- Is it safe to bottle butter? I went to a class and they said it was "canning butter" yet we didn't process it.
- How long can I keep stored foods?
- Information for Canning at High Altitudes.
- How much water should I store?
- Can I get my pressure cooker tested? When and where? Thanks for a great service! jh