Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Is it workable to grow scrub oak from acorns, and if so, I'd appreciate direction. I live near Foothill Drive in SLC.
Rate This FAQ
Sure, you can grow scrub oak from acorns. The acorns must be free of weevils or other pests, and the nut must be "filled". In other word, the seed must be viable. Typically, you can throw acorns into a bucket of water and stir a bit to make sure there aren't bubbles on the outside of the acorns. The ones that float are usually no good.
Most oaks need a moist chill to germinate because they have a physiological dormancy. You can collect and plant acorns in fall at the desired sites, protect the seed from marauding squirrels and birds, and the seed will start growing next spring. Cover the planted acorns with a hardware cloth cap (formed from wire mesh with half-inch spacing). Plant many more seed than you wish to grow, then thin down to the most vigorous seedling early next summer after they start growing.
If you intend to grow the seedlings in pots, I recommend that you get some of the tree tube or bottomless containers that are used in growing forestry seedlings. You can buy them from a company named Stuewe and Co. These containers train the root system so that it won't circle at the bottom of the pot. You'll have much better success after transplanting.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do you have tips for naturalizing a landscape with bulbs?
- Why are my older pine and spruce trees dropping their needles?
- There are yellow jackets in my yard, how do I control them?
- Do you have tips on planting trees and shrubs?
- My pear tree has dead stems that curl downward. What is happening?
- What Are Those Large Round Fungus Balls That Appeared In My Lawn Last Summer?
- What are the best shade trees to plant in syracuse? Is it true that if they are fast growing they tend to break easily? Is that common or am I worrying to much about that?
- What can I do now to prevent weeds in my lawn?
Note: These questions are a portion of the questions available at the master page .