Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Is it workable to grow scrub oak from acorns, and if so, I'd appreciate direction. I live near Foothill Drive in SLC.
Rate This FAQ
Sure, you can grow scrub oak from acorns. The acorns must be free of weevils or other pests, and the nut must be "filled". In other word, the seed must be viable. Typically, you can throw acorns into a bucket of water and stir a bit to make sure there aren't bubbles on the outside of the acorns. The ones that float are usually no good.
Most oaks need a moist chill to germinate because they have a physiological dormancy. You can collect and plant acorns in fall at the desired sites, protect the seed from marauding squirrels and birds, and the seed will start growing next spring. Cover the planted acorns with a hardware cloth cap (formed from wire mesh with half-inch spacing). Plant many more seed than you wish to grow, then thin down to the most vigorous seedling early next summer after they start growing.
If you intend to grow the seedlings in pots, I recommend that you get some of the tree tube or bottomless containers that are used in growing forestry seedlings. You can buy them from a company named Stuewe and Co. These containers train the root system so that it won't circle at the bottom of the pot. You'll have much better success after transplanting.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I live on 25 acres on the border of Summit and Wasatch Counties at an elevation of 7,000 ft. I need to add some trees to the landscape both evergreen and shade? What are good choices for my high and cold location?
- Do you test soil?
- How late in the fall season can you lay sod in northern Utah?
- I have a lawn full of spiders. When I go to the flowers beds, probably a 100 spiders run out of the grass and bed. The spiders are about 3/8 of an inch long and dark brown. I would just like to get rid of them. What is the best approach?
- When will my flowering shrubs bloom, and when should I prune them and my evergreens?
- How do I prune my roses?
- What is killing my lawn? It was fine in the spring, and now this summer, it is looking dead in patchy spots.
- Why do maple tree and burning bush leaf edges turn brown in mid-summer?
Note: These questions are a portion of the questions available at the master page .