Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Is it workable to grow scrub oak from acorns, and if so, I'd appreciate direction. I live near Foothill Drive in SLC.
Rate This FAQ
Sure, you can grow scrub oak from acorns. The acorns must be free of weevils or other pests, and the nut must be "filled". In other word, the seed must be viable. Typically, you can throw acorns into a bucket of water and stir a bit to make sure there aren't bubbles on the outside of the acorns. The ones that float are usually no good.
Most oaks need a moist chill to germinate because they have a physiological dormancy. You can collect and plant acorns in fall at the desired sites, protect the seed from marauding squirrels and birds, and the seed will start growing next spring. Cover the planted acorns with a hardware cloth cap (formed from wire mesh with half-inch spacing). Plant many more seed than you wish to grow, then thin down to the most vigorous seedling early next summer after they start growing.
If you intend to grow the seedlings in pots, I recommend that you get some of the tree tube or bottomless containers that are used in growing forestry seedlings. You can buy them from a company named Stuewe and Co. These containers train the root system so that it won't circle at the bottom of the pot. You'll have much better success after transplanting.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How is the best way to kill morning glory weeds in a new lawn?
- How late in the fall should I water trees and shrubs?
- I have a lawn full of spiders. When I go to the flowers beds, probably a 100 spiders run out of the grass and bed. The spiders are about 3/8 of an inch long and dark brown. I would just like to get rid of them. What is the best approach?
- We planted a new yard with several pine trees this last Fall - including sub-alpine, a young cedar, douglas fir, and a couple of sequioa .... along with the traditional small conifer bushes. With the recent wind and the sensitivies of the sub-alpines and sequoia I wanted to be sure that I fertilized, etc., a needed (watered them a little today due to strong winds).
- Is There Any Way To Eliminate Borers That Leave What Looks Like Sawdust At The Base Of Our Aspen Trees?
- What is killing all the scrub oak and where can I find information on how to save the scrub oak I have that has not been affected by it yet?
- I wanted to find a herbiside for "Puncturevine" and/or "Tribulus Terrestris"...but found no place on your website to look for specific weed(s) and/or the best method to control and eliminiate them. Can you provide me with assistance on this issue?
- Can you suggest some hardy perennials for my landscape?
Note: These questions are a portion of the questions available at the master page .