Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
A week ago I was given an easter lily with white trumpet flowers. The plant was very dry, so I watered it, and it dose seem healthy. The blossoms are gone. 1) What, where and when is the best time to plant outside? I would like to plant it in a pot with other flowers. 2) The spot is quite shady, gets a little sun, will it be ok? 3) How should I winterize the plant when it gets cold, so I can have it come out nicely next year? 4) Will it multiply, where I can get other plants? or, How can I plant other starts from the plant? 5) Is there literature on growing easter lilys in Utah? 6) Can I expect blossoms again this summer or fall?
Rate This FAQ
No publications specifically about Easter Lily care for Utah, but it is similar to other lilies that grow from bulbs, that they need at least half a
day of sun, for the leaves to produce sugars throughout the summer and send those sugars into the bulb for blooms next spring. There are a couple
of concerns for success in that our soil pH is alkaline and they prefer a more acidic soil pH and the lilies may not be cold hardy enough to survive our
winters. Easter Lilies are intensely managed to produce blooms for Easter and sold as houseplants. You can plant you Easter Lily outside after
the blooms are spent but you should select a site with sun and afternoon shade for the plant to produce food through photosynthesis to send those sugars
back into the bulb. Be patient. It may take a couple of year's for your plant to build up enough resources to set flower buds.
This link to an article from North Dakota about Easter Lily care
Here is an article on easter lily care from University of Nebraska
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My tomato plants look beautiful. However, most of the tomatoes, when they start to turn red, they also start to spoil and turn black from the bottom up. Why is that? Could it be bugs or too much water?
- When should I spray my apple and apricat trees to prevent worms in the fruit? What product should I use? I planted a plum tree last fall, what should I do for it now?
- Do you have information on spring-blooming perennials?
- I understand that Ace 55 tomatoes are low in acid. Is it unwise to use them for canning even if Lemon Juice is added?
- When do I harvest my pumpkins or squash?
- Is there some place in the Salt Lake area where I can donate my garden snails? I read that thrushes and ducks (along with many other critters such as beetles, which I don't want to introduce into my garden) will eat snails. I know I could kill the snails using a variety of methods, but it seems like somebody (not me!) might like to eat them. Ideas?
- I want to put pre emergent down on my garden to control weeds and the tomato seeds from last year. The snow has melted. Is now the time and what should I use?
- I have some pumpkins that are still green (October 9th). Is there any way they will become ripe?