Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How long does pectin keep if the box has not been opened?
Rate This FAQ
Pectin has an expiration date on the box. It is recommended to use it within one year or before the expiration date. It's not so much that it will hurt you, (meaning causing problems with food safety) it's more that the quality of the pectin decreases once the expiration date has passed. The jam/jelly or whatever product you may be making will not gel as well, in short, the pectin won't work like it's designed to.
If you'd like more information, check out the following website:
It provides links to another state's extension website and a USDA website that go into further details.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do I need to treat water before storing it?
- Can you tell me what the adult form is for the weevil that I find in my flour and pasta?
- What can I store water in?
- How do I keep insects out of stored grain?
- Are jars that have air bubbles in them after bottling, safe?
- Can I get my pressure cooker tested? When and where? Thanks for a great service! jh
- How much water should I store?
- Is it save to eat weevil?