Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What are the best shade trees to plant in syracuse? Is it true that if they are fast growing they tend to break easily? Is that common or am I worrying to much about that?
Rate This FAQ
Yes, the old saying "live fast, die young" is generally true for trees. The softer wood of poplars, willows, locust, and other fast-growing trees is weaker and more often infested by pests and disease.
So, if you need quick shade, plant a fast-growing tree, but also plant a slower-growing tree, so that when the fast one dies in 15 years, you will have a good-sized strong tree to provide shade in that area.
"Selecting and Planting Landscape Trees" is a booklet available in your county USU Extension office, plus it is available for download from our website (http://extension.usu.edu/forestry/HomeTown/Select_SelectionandPlanting.htm)
This is a very good resource to help you make your tree selection.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a lawn with necrotic ring, it has been treated with f:stop. Question; Future construction will remove much of the sod. Should I treat the soil before I lay new sod.
- We will need to establish some native plants. How much do we have to water Greasewood, Four-wing Saltbush, Rabbitbrush, Green Ephedra, and Spiny Hopsage in #10 containers? We also have two trees, a 5'Utah Juniper and 3' tall Gambel Oaks to water. I understand it best to lightly water for a year and then wean them off in the wet season. Is this correct?
- My vinca minor has numerous yellow leaves this year. My husband keeps dumping water on it, thinking it needs more since it is yellow and at some instances brown. Are we watering it too much, or is it missing a nutrient that needs to be added? HELP!
- When is the best time of year to reseed my lawn? The weeds and spurge are out of control. Should I rototill the lawn to remove all the weeds first?
- How late in the fall should I water trees and shrubs?
- Due to the dry season, the weeds are overtaking our lawn. Besides watering, is there a weed killer I can apply when it is so hot? Is there a fertilizer or food that would help it?
- What trees are recommended for West Jordan (clay soil).
- Our scrub oak is taking over our view, but efforts to trim have resulted in visible cuts and dead branches near the cuts. Do we need a professional, or can it be done well by a lay person?