Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What are the best shade trees to plant in syracuse? Is it true that if they are fast growing they tend to break easily? Is that common or am I worrying to much about that?
Rate This FAQ
Yes, the old saying "live fast, die young" is generally true for trees. The softer wood of poplars, willows, locust, and other fast-growing trees is weaker and more often infested by pests and disease.
So, if you need quick shade, plant a fast-growing tree, but also plant a slower-growing tree, so that when the fast one dies in 15 years, you will have a good-sized strong tree to provide shade in that area.
"Selecting and Planting Landscape Trees" is a booklet available in your county USU Extension office, plus it is available for download from our website (http://extension.usu.edu/forestry/HomeTown/Select_SelectionandPlanting.htm)
This is a very good resource to help you make your tree selection.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- We moved two Moab two years ago. My husband wants to grow a nut tree on the southwest side of our house that is just bare dirt and gravel now. We also want a shade tree (no fruits or nuts) in our front yard that faces South/Southeast to give our house shade. I am originally from Utah County and I miss my trees! Is there anything comparable that would grow here in the clay?
- I have several Dwarf Blue Arctic Willows in my yard. This year they were full of some kind of wasp or bee. I waited until winter and the leaves dropped off to see if there was a hive or nest and there does not seem to be one. In looking for the nest I noticed some small black bugs on the wood. What should I do, if anything and are the two pests related in any way?
- I have a stand of scrub oak trees in my front yard with large growths on the trunks and branches on the trees. Do you know what this is and what I can do about them?
- What is West Nile Virus and how can I keep myself safe from it?
- When is the best time to plant my grass in the spring? And how much fertilizer should I put on if any?
- My vinca minor has numerous yellow leaves this year. My husband keeps dumping water on it, thinking it needs more since it is yellow and at some instances brown. Are we watering it too much, or is it missing a nutrient that needs to be added? HELP!
- I have a lawn full of spiders. When I go to the flowers beds, probably a 100 spiders run out of the grass and bed. The spiders are about 3/8 of an inch long and dark brown. I would just like to get rid of them. What is the best approach?