Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Something is digging up my bulbs (tulips, daffs, etc.) and eating them. I know I have a squirrel in my yard, but do they eat bulbs? What else would dig things up and eat them?
Rate This FAQ
Yes, squirrels will dig and eat bulbs. So will pocket gophers. You will know which is stealing them by whether or not there are dirt mounds in the area (if so, it's pocket gophers).
Here are some links to information about
You can protect bulbs from digging squirrels by covering the area with hardware cloth - a wire mesh with 1/2 to 1 inch holes.
To protect bulbs from pocket gophers, you must bury hardware cloth around the bulb area perimeter.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do you test soil?
- I've noticed lots of caterpillars eating the leaves of my Birch trees--they look like inchworms. I've also seen them in neighbor's trees. Is there an infestation, and what can I do about it?
- I have a lawn with necrotic ring, it has been treated with f:stop. Question; Future construction will remove much of the sod. Should I treat the soil before I lay new sod.
- My roses and boxelder trees have sticky (sap) leaves, what is causing this problem?
- I have lived in a 50 year old home in Murray for 11 years. I have plants trees, bushes, perrenials, annuals, vegetables (nothing exotic). The trees seem to grow normal but a lot of the plants don't seem to grow much. They flower and look normal but not much growth. I have worked the ground a lot with mulch and commercial fertilizer but do not use manure or fish emulsion because my dog tries to eat it. What can I do to stimulate growth in my gardens?
- Our scrub oak is taking over our view, but efforts to trim have resulted in visible cuts and dead branches near the cuts. Do we need a professional, or can it be done well by a lay person?
- I have tall thin Junipers in my backyard. They resemble a Hollywood Juniper but I am not sure of their species. They are 25 years old and have begun to look like they are dying, the needles are turning brown and falling off. Is there anything I can do to save them?
- How do I prevent aspen sprouts from coming up in my lawn?