Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Something is digging up my bulbs (tulips, daffs, etc.) and eating them. I know I have a squirrel in my yard, but do they eat bulbs? What else would dig things up and eat them?
Rate This FAQ
Yes, squirrels will dig and eat bulbs. So will pocket gophers. You will know which is stealing them by whether or not there are dirt mounds in the area (if so, it's pocket gophers).
Here are some links to information about
You can protect bulbs from digging squirrels by covering the area with hardware cloth - a wire mesh with 1/2 to 1 inch holes.
To protect bulbs from pocket gophers, you must bury hardware cloth around the bulb area perimeter.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Last year my maple tree started losing leaves. I investigated and found it full of earwigs under the bark. I killed the bugs. The bark is falling off, Can I save my tree? It is over 20 years old.
- Reveille grass seed. How good is this type of seed for the West Jordan area(Oquirrh shadows area)?
- Do you have some advice on how to control mallow weeds? This has been an ongoing problem that even the powerful herbicides can only contain for just a few weeks. They always come back and completely overrun my garden. Any advice?
- We have solanum dulcamara, creeping nightshade, growing in our back yard. I could use some advice in how to get rid of it. Also, how dangerous is the plant to touch? Is the plant dangerous only when ingested?
- I am actually in Colorado, I am interested in the zone(s) in Eden. I am designing a landscape there and want to plant accordingly. I, also, am interested in a list of noxious plants, I'd like to avoid them. Thank You!
- Why are my older pine and spruce trees dropping their needles?
- Due to the dry season, the weeds are overtaking our lawn. Besides watering, is there a weed killer I can apply when it is so hot? Is there a fertilizer or food that would help it?
- When do I cut back my shrubs?