Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We live in West Jordan in an area with very clay soil. We would like to plant some low-lying evergreen shrubs in a narrow strip between our RV pad and a short vinyl fence. Do you have any plant recommendations that will work in our soil and don't require a lot of maintenence?
Rate This FAQ
Probably the toughest, most tolerant evergreen groundcover for such a site is juniper. One thing to watch out for is salt damage - avoid planting where de-icing salts will affect them.
Here are some of the more popular groundcover junipers:
Bar Harbor - stays very low, no taller than one foot and usually shorter. Blue-green in summer and purplish in winter.
Blue Chip - blue color in summer, tipped with purple in winter. Grows up to 10 inches tall and spreads wide.
Blue Mat - even shorter, reaching only 6 inches tall. Grows and spreads more slowly.
Emerald Spreader - very green, reaching only 7 inches tall. Doesn't spread evenly but will always be mounded taller in the center of the plant. Feathery texture.
Jade Spreader - green, low, growing into a dense mat. Turns dark purplish brown in winter.
Blue Rug - very flat form, silver-blue foliage tinged with purple in winter. Fairly fast growing.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have grass growing in my myrtle(I know it has another name but I can't think of it) and I would like to get out of there. How can I do that without killing the ground cover that I have?
- What is killing all the scrub oak and where can I find information on how to save the scrub oak I have that has not been affected by it yet?
- How can I attract hummingbirds to my yard?
- How and when can I transplant small, 6-12 inch and medium, 5 ft joshua trees? The latter is more important at this point since it would be a shame to lose it.
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- My euonymus has a white powdery film on the leaves, what is it?
- when should i apply a preemregent to control the weed oxalis that is in my lawn? can you reccomend a particular product?
- I want to make a portion of my yard a 0scape environment. How do I prepare the area so that the grass/weeds to not take over? What tools will I need to make the soil acceptable? What time of year is best to plant new plants for this area?