Plate 111 TEEPLES SPRING: 1942 - 1956 - 1999 The view is towards Teeples Spring. This is the only permanent water for several miles, resulting in very heavy livestock use in the past and extensive soil erosion. The water trough is just in front of the cattle at the very left edge of the 1942 photo. The area around the spring was contour trenched, gully-plugged, and seeded by the Forest Service sometime after 1956. A gully plug is visible in the foreground of the 1999 photo. The tall herbaceous plant in the foreground of the 1999 photo is coneflower (Rudbeckia occidentalis), an indicator of past overgrazing. The grasses are primarily smooth brome (Bromus inermis) and native needlegrasses (Stipa spp.). A few aspen (Populus tremuloides) stands have regenerated in the 1999 photo, but only on steep, rocky hillsides.
1945 [taken Oct. 3] and 1956 [taken Sept. 26] photos by the U.S.Forest Service; 1999 photo is Kay #4490-26A, taken on Sept. 5. Forest Service photos [2500A-98 and A-99 ] held by the Fillmore Ranger District, Fishlake national Forest, Fillmore, UT; The 1945 photo [USFS 465362] is also held by the Forest Service Regional Office Photographic Collection [2500Misc.] housed at Weber State Univ., Ogden, UT.
Aspen, Dry Meadow
South Central: North Fork of Chalk Creek, Fishlake National Forest, Fillmore Ranger District; T21S, R3W, Sect. 14, UTM 4316250 N, 400250 E; elevation 9,560 ft., viewed to southwest.