Corral Hollow Exclosure
Plate 921X. Corral Hollow Exclosure 1953 – 1986 – 2005 The Corral Hollow Exclosure north of Panguitch Lake was built in 1930 to study the impact that domestic sheep were having on the vegetation. The exclosure is approximately 120 feet on a side and is fenced with woven wire. Although this was a sheep allotment in the past, today the area is grazed by cattle. Mule deer and elk are also present. Plate 921x is viewed north just outside the south side of the exclosure. In general, range conditions have improved both inside and outside the exclosure. Grasses, mostly Stipa spp. and Poa spp., have increased, as have sagebrush and bitterbrush. The latter, however, is more common inside the fenced area. The taller darker shrubs are curlleaf mountain mahogany. Note how curlleaf on the ridge was highlined and heavily browsed in 1953, but how that species has regenerated and spread since the first photo. Today, curlleaf shows no sign of heavy browsing. Juniper has increased in the distance. The area was actively being grazed by cattle in 2005. Fresh deer pellet groups were observed both inside and outside the exclosure. Old elk sign was also present.
U.S. Forest Service photographs (unnumbered) taken on August 24, 1953 and August 20, 1986; retake by Charles E. Kay on June 26, 2005 - - Photo No. 5476-5. Original photographs, negatives, and reports held in the range files on the Cedar City Ranger District, Dixie National Forest, Cedar City, UT.
Sagebrush, Mountain Brush
South West: Section 26, Range 7 West, Township 34 South; UTM 359000 E, 4187000 N; elevation 8,800 ft.