Plate 512X. Tenny Creek 1872 – 2004 Viewed south up Tenny Creek to the Pink Cliffs (9,394 ft.) on the southern end of the Paunsaugunt Plateau. The foreground is owned by Kurt Brinkerhoff, while the hills in the distance are part of the Dixie National Forest. The meadow is sub-irrigated and thus, has not been invaded by woody vegetation. The taller plants in the retake are cattails that grow around a stock pond Mr. Brinkerhoff has established. Today, the meadow is primarily sedges and Kentucky bluegrass. Oakbrush has increased around the edge of the meadow, as well as on the more distant hillsides. Pinyon and juniper have also increased, as have Utah serviceberry, true mountain mahogany, and other shrubs. The area was historically grazed by domestic sheep, but is now grazed yearly by cattle. The meadow had not yet been grazed in 2004 when the retake was made. The area is also used by deer and an increasing number of elk. Ponderosa pine, white fir, and Douglas fir have increased in the distance. Clearly, there is more woody vegetation today than there was in 1872 before the area was settled by Europeans, native burning eliminated, and wildfires suppressed. Needless to say, woody fuels have increased significantly and any fires that would burn today would be much more intense than they were in the past.
Original photograph taken by John Hillers (No. 111A) in 1872; retake by Charles E. Kay on June 28, 2004 - - Photo No. 5347-10. Original photograph (057-PS-111A) held in the National Archives, Washington, D.C.
Wet Meadow, Oakbrush, Pinyon, Juniper, Mountain Brush, Conifer
South West: Section 26, Range 4½ West, Township 39 South; UTM 382700 E, 4138350 N; elevation 7,205 ft.