Plate 944X. Strawberry Exclosure 1952 – 2005 Viewed north-northeast from inside the grassland exclosure in upper Strawberry Valley. The exclosure was built in 1952 and is located halfway between Broad Hollow and Lars Fork. The exclosure’s woven-wire fence would suggest that this was once a sheep allotment, but today the area is grazed by cattle. Elk and deer use is minimal. At present, there is little difference inside (ungrazed) or outside (grazed) the exclosure. The most commons grass is needle and thread. Poa spp. are also present, as is a little smooth brome. Forbs include cinquefoil, penstemon, and Indian paintbrush. In the distance, conifers have increased, while aspen has declined.
U.S. Forest Service photograph (unnumbered) taken on July 7, 1952; retake by Charles E. Kay on July 29, 2005 - - Photo No. 5483-23. Original photographs, negatives, and reports held in the range files on the Cedar City Ranger District, Dixie National Forest, Cedar City, UT.
Conifer, Aspen, Dry Meadow
South West: Section 30, Range 7 West, Township 38 South; UTM of the exclosure 352300 E, 4148400 N; elevation 8,220 ft.