Plate 467X. Skutumpah Canyon 1931 – 2004 Viewed north-northeast up Skutumpah Canyon. Johnson Wash enters on the left. Note the person in the original photograph for scale. According to the caption on the 1931 image, the valley floor was flat and level when the area was first settled by Europeans in 1870. “Wagon roads which once crossed the valley can be seen to the edge of the cut and there continuing on the other side.” Today, the cut banks have stabilized and the arroyos are more heavily vegetated them in the past. Pinyon and juniper have increased. The shrubs are mostly Wyoming big sage and rubber rabbitbrush, though, some sage has died during the recent drought. The most common native grass is needle and thread. Cheatgrass is also present.
U.S. Forest Service photograph (264935) taken by Reed W. Bailey in 1931; retake by Charles E. Kay on June 6, 2004 - - Photo No. 5328-19. Original photograph held by the Utah Historical Society, Reed W. Bailey Collection (Box 2, C-439), Salt Lake City, UT.
Pinyon, Juniper, Sagebrush
South West: Section 24, Range 5 West, Township 41 South; UTM 378950 E, 4121100 N; elevation 5,750 ft.