Six Lakes Exclosure
Plate 1392X. Six Lakes Exclosure 1948 – 2006 The Six Lakes Exclosure is situated to the north and west of Cedar Breaks National Monument. A small wooden-pole exclosure was originally built in an aspen stand by the Forest Service in 1935 - - see Plate 1392x. In 1962, the Forest Service removed the small exclosure and built a 1.2 acre wooden-pole exclosure in its place - - see Plate 1393x. When the larger exclosure was constructed, the Forest Service established one Parker Three-Step Transect to the west of the fenced plot - - see Plate 1394x and one Parker Three-Step Transect inside the exclosure - - see Plate 1395x. Unfortunately, the exclosure has not been maintained for many years. In fact, most of the wooden poles have been removed making it difficult to relocate the original camera stations. The exclosure is located south of USFS Road 304 and south of ATV Trail 1573, a.k.a. the High Mountain Trail. In general, aspen has declined, while conifers, including Douglas fir, spruce, and limber pine, have increased. Aspen has not regenerated in many years due to excessive ungulate herbivory (Kay and Bartos 2000). Snowberry and currant have also increased. This is a domestic sheep allotment. As the low exclosure fence did not exclude wildlife, it is likely that high deer use inside the fenced plot kept those aspen from regenerating. Plate 1392x is viewed southeast to the original exclosure.
U.S. Forest Service photograph (unnumbered) taken on June 30, 1948; retake by Charles E. Kay on August 6, 2006 - - Photo No. 5718-28A. Original photographs, negatives, and narrative reports held in the range files on the Cedar City Ranger District, Dixie National Forest, Cedar City, UT.
Aspen, Conifer, Mountain Brush
South West: Section 8, Range 9 West, Township 36 South; UTM 332800 E, 4171700 N; elevation 9,720 ft.