Plate 924X. Shakespeare Hollow 1953 – 2005 Viewed north-northwest across the lower part of Shakespeare Hollow north of Panguitch Lake. The photopoint is approximate 100 yards north of the former USFS Little Valleys Administration Site. The fence shown in the 1953 image is that of the administration site, with limited horse use above and heavy cattle use below. All that remained of the administration site in 2005, though, were the concrete foundations - - the fence has been removed and the entire area is now grazed by cattle, elk, and mule deer. Silver sage has increased on the subirrigated meadow in the foreground. The aspen stand has not regenerated in many years due to excessive ungulate herbivory (Kay and Bartos 2000). Spruce, Douglas fir, ponderosa pine, white fir, oakbrush, and curlleaf mountain mahogany have all increased in the distance.
U.S. Forest Service photograph (unnumbered) taken on August 24, 1953; retake by Charles E. Kay on June 26, 2005 - - Photo No. 5476-21. Original photograph held by Southern Utah University Archives and Special Collections, Cedar City, UT.
Sagebrush, Wet Meadow, Aspen, Conifer
South West: Section 33, Range 7 West, Township 34 South; UTM 355650 E, 4185500 N; elevation 8,780 ft.