Plate 436X. Paria River 1918 – 2004 Viewed north up the Paria River to a remnant of Navajo sandstone cut from an ancient meander. Locally this is known as Lone Rock. Woody riparian vegetation, primarily cottonwood, willow, and Russian olive has increased stabilizing the stream. This has occurred throughout the length of the Paria River despite yearly grazing by cattle. This site is approximately two miles above Deer Creek Canyon. The stream channel was unvegetated as late as 1948 - - see Breed (1949:390).
Original photograph taken in 1918 by H.E. Gregory (No. 1303); retake by Charles E. Kay on May 14, 2004 - - Photo No. 5305-4A. Original photograph held by the U.S. Geological Survey Photographic Library, Denver, CO.
South West: Section 29, Range 2 West, Township 39 South; UTM 409600 E, 4138150 N; elevation 5,300 ft.