Plate 849X. Paria River 1912 – 2005 Viewed southwest across the Paria River. In the foreground is Charles Spencer’s old mining operation just south of the Paria townsite. The river channel has narrowed and is more vegetated today than in 1912. Cottonwoods and willows have become established, as have Russian olive and tamarisk. Greasewood, rubber rabbitbrush, saltbrush, and sagebrush dominate the drier sties. The stone cabin in the lower right was built after the first image was made but fell into disrepair when the townsite was abandoned.
Original photograph taken in 1912; retake by Charles E. Kay on June 18, 2005 - - Photo No. 5450-5. Original photograph from Kelsey (2004:282).
South West: Section 18, Range 1 West, Township 41 South; UTM 415600 E, 4122800 N; elevation 4,840 ft.