Plate 194X. Johns Valley 1945 - 2003 This part of Johns Valley was once cropland that was abandoned only to be colonized by rubber rabbitbrush and sagebrush. The Forest Service subsequently root-plowed and reseeded the area as part of the Widtsoe Project. Crested wheatgrass is still present but the site has now been reinvaded by rubber rabbitbrush. Pinyon and juniper have increased on the distant hillsides. Viewed west-northwest to Rock and Cherry Creeks. Plates 194x, 195x, and 196x were taken from the same camera station and form a panorama. Pictured is an 18 ft. rangeland drill used to reseed the area. The drag chain behind the drill helped to cover any seed left on top of the ground. The area was heavily grazed by cattle in 2003. The foreground is state land but the more distant areas are part of the Dixie National Forest.
U.S. Forest Service photograph (unnumbered) taken by Albert Albertson on October 25, 1945; retake by Charles E. Kay on July 17, 2003 - - Photo No. 5191-10. Original photograph held by Southern Utah University Archives and Special Collections, Cedar City, UT.
Sagebrush, Pinyon, Juniper
South West: Section 28, Range 2 West, Township 33 South; UTM 410600E, 4195000N; elevation 7,280 ft.