Grass Valley Exclosure
Plate 786X. Grass Valley Exclosure 1954 – 2004 The Grass Valley Exclosure was built in 1952. The exclosure is of a three-part design. One part is fenced to exclude both wildlife and livestock, termed the total exclusion area, while a second part is fenced to exclude only livestock, termed the livestock exclusion area. A third, unfenced part is adjacent to the two fenced areas. By measuring vegetation in all three-parts of the exclosure over time, livestock induced changes in species composition can be distinguished from changes caused by wildlife, primary mule deer in this case (Kay and Bartos 2000). After the Grass Valley Exclosure was constructed, the Forest Service established six Parker Three-Step Transects to monitor range conditions - - two in each part of the exclosure. Plate 785x is viewed south at the start of transect D-207 inside the livestock exclusion portion of the exclosure. Needless to say, pinyon and juniper have increased dramatically, as has mountain brush. Shrubs include birchleaf mountain mahogany, curlleaf mountain mahogany, skunkbrush, sagebrush, rubber rabbitbrush, Utah serviceberry, and oakbrush. As woody species have increased, forage production has declined. Cattle and mule deer sign were abundant outside the exclosure.
U.S. Forest Service photograph (unnumbered) taken by Floyd Noel on May 13, 1954; retake by Darrell McMahon on August 18, 2004 - - Photo No. DM-63-16A. Original photographs, negatives, and narrative reports held in the range files on the St. George Ranger District, Dixie National Forest, St. George, UT.
Pinyon, Juniper, Mountain Brush, Sagebrush
South West: Section 25, Range 15 West, Township 38 South; UTM 280508 E, 4148292 N; elevation 7,043 ft.