Plate 507X. Escalante Townsite 1933 – 2004 Viewed west to Escalante, UT. Trees now line the town cemetery (photo left-center) - - see Plate 500x, and a new high school has been constructed to the west of the graveyard. The Escalante River on the north edge of town supports more woody riparian vegetation today than it did in the past. Pinyon and juniper appear to have increased. The gully in the foreground was once used as a garbage dump, but that practice has been discontinued and the site rehabilitated, though, vegetation has been slow to reestablish.
U.S. Forest Service photograph taken by an unknown photographer ca. 1933; retake by Charles E. Kay on June 11, 2004 - - Photo No. 5344-11. Original photograph held by Southern Utah University Archives and Special Collections, Cedar City, UT.
Riparian, Pinyon, Juniper
South West: Section 16, Range 3 East, Township 35 South; UTM 449500 E, 4179890 N; elevation 6,000 ft.