Doctor Creek Cove
Plate 6. DOCTOR CREEK COVE: 1920 - 1995 The shoreline has changed markedly over the years. Instead of a wave swept gravel beach in 1920, the area in 1995 is largely a swamp. Apparently there was a slight drop in lake level and Doctor Creek washed in material at this site. Whether this infilling is natural or a result of the development that has taken place is unknown. In addition to new roads and summer homes, a diked marina at Lakeview Lodge now extends well out into the lake just south of this photo point (see Plate 9). The lake level may have lowered when the dam at the outlet failed and/or the outlet channelized. Aspen (Populus tremuloides) on the distant hillside has mature. Conifers and curlleaf mountain mahogany (Cercocarpus ledifolius) have increased in height and density, as would be expected in the absence of fire. The few Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) apparent in 1920 are restricted to fire refugia. Prior to European influence, Fishlake was a major gathering point for Native Americans and aboriginal fires were common. This area is also called Tabiona Bay after a native leader who signed a peace treaty here in 1873.
Riparian, Aspen, Conifer, Mountain Brush
South Central: At Fishlake, Fishlake N. F., Loa R.D.; T26S, R2E, Sect. 19; UTM 4265350 N, 435900 E; elevation 8,843 ft.; view to northwest.