Plate 175 DAMERON EXCLOSURE: 1941 - 1999 The Dameron exclosure was built in 1936 to study the impact of wildlife and livestock on this range. The exclosure is of a 3-part design with one area fenced to exclude livestock but accessible to deer; an adjacent area fenced to exclude all ungulates; and a third unfenced area open to use by both deer and cattle. The area is a major mule deer wintering area where the main browse species is cliffrose (Cowania stansburiana) – see Plates 166 and 167. In general, cliffrose has regenerated only where both wildlife and livestock have been excluded. Deer use alone has been sufficient to prevent the recovery of cliffrose. Pinyon (Pinus edulis) and juniper (Juniperus sp.) have increased both inside and outside of the exclosure. The pole fence in the 1941 photo was replaced with a woven wire fence in the 1999 photo. This view is inside the total exclusion fenced area. The two cliffrose in the 1941 photo are still present in the 1999 photo, plus new plants have become established. The juniper behind the wooden fence in the earlier photo has increased in size.
1941 photo #407325 taken on April 20 by the Forest Service; 1999 photo taken by Kay #4511-23 on Sept. 10. Forest Service photo held by the Fillmore Ranger District [see file 2620 on Dameron Canyon Exclosure], Fishlake National Forest, Fillmore, UT
Mountain Brush, Pinyon, Juniper
South Central: Fishlake National Forest, Fillmore Ranger District; T24S, R5W, Sect. 5, UTM 4290500 N, 370790 E; elevation 5,540 ft., viewed to west