Cedar Breaks National Monument
Plate 1373X. Cedar Breaks National Monument 1924 – 2006 Viewed north across the head of Mammoth Creek on Cedar Breaks National Monument. When the 1924 image was made this was part of the Dixie National Forest. Cedar Breaks was declared a National Monument in 1933 and by 1936 livestock had been removed. Plant cover has increased, while soil erosion has declined. Conifers have increased, though, many of the older spruce were recently killed by insects and disease. As conifers have increased, aspen has declined. Some aspen stands, however, regenerated 30 years ago when mule deer populations fell but not before or since due to excessive herbivory by deer and elk (Kay and Bartos 2000). The dark-colored shrubs on the distant hillside are currants and they appear to have increased, except where over-topped by spruce. Silver sage and shrubby cinquefoil have invaded the meadow. The photopoint is east of the Chessmen Ridge Overlook.
U.S. Forest Service photograph (190057) taken in 1924; retake by Charles E. Kay on August 4, 2006 - - Photo No. 5707-26. Original photograph (2200 – Dixie – 2) held in the U.S. Forest Service Regional Office Photographic Collection housed at Weber State University, Ogden, UT.
Conifer, Aspen, Dry Meadow
South West: Section 36, Range 9 West, Township 36 South; UTM 338900 E, 4166100 N; elevation 10,440 ft.