Cedar Breaks Ccc Camp
Plate 1375X. Cedar Breaks CCC Camp 1935 – 2006 Viewed west to the old CCC Camp at the head of Long Valley. The north-south fence in the retake is the boundary of Cedar Breaks National Monument. Thus, the CCC Camp was built partly on the Dixie National Forest. The pile of material closest to the camera in the 1935 image was ash and rock from the camp’s fire pit. Conifers have increased, though, many of the older spruce were recently killed by insects and disease. The meadow appears more vegetated today than it did in earlier times. Aspen visible near the left edge of the retake has not successfully regenerated in many years due to repeated browsing by deer and elk, as livestock have been excluded from the National Monument for 70 years.
Original photograph taken by Avard Rogers in 1935; retake by Charles E. Kay on August 4, 2006 - - Photo No. 5710-4. Original photograph (Zion 12672) held by the National Park Service, Zion National Park, Springdale, UT.
Conifer, Aspen, Dry Meadow
South West: Section 36, Range 9 West, Township 37 South; UTM 339150 E, 4165000 N; elevation 10,300 ft.