Plate 913X. Blowup Exclosure 1960 – 2005 The Blowup Exclosure was initially built in 1930 to study the effects of mule deer and cattle use in upper Red Creek above Paragonah, Utah. An area 100 ft. by 100 ft. was fenced to exclude livestock, but which allowed access by deer, while an area 90 ft. by 90 ft. was fenced to exclude both livestock and wildlife. The original wooden pole fence seen in the 1960 images was replaced with wire fences in 1961, at which time the size of the exclosure was enlarged 5 to 10 feet in each outside direction. Old stumps indicate that a few widely scattered conifers, mostly ponderosa pine, have been logged outside the exclosure. Nonetheless, ponderosa pine, white fir, Douglas fir, pinyon, and juniper have increased both inside and outside the exclosure. Snowberry and currant are the most abundant shrubs. Some aspen has regenerated inside the total exclusion part of the exclosure but neither outside the fenced area or inside the mule deer only part of the exclosure. Although this was a major mule deer use area in the past, today the area is only occasionally used by deer, elk, or cattle due to forest in-growth and the accompanying loss of forage production. Plate 913x is viewed south over the southeast corner of the total exclusion part of the exclosure.
U.S. Forest Service photograph (unnumbered) taken on September 6, 1960; retake by Charles E. Kay on June 25, 2005 - - Photo No. 5471-33. Original photographs, negatives, and narrative reports held in the range files on the Cedar City Ranger District, Dixie National Forest, Cedar City, UT.
Conifer, Pinyon, Juniper, Mountain Brush, Aspen
South West: Section 19, Range 7 West, Township 34 South; UTM 352100 E, 4189100 N; elevation 8,560 ft.