Master Food Preserver Program
Enjoy a multi-session course and develop expertise in food preservation: Take it all or take only the individual sessions you need. Courses are taught at Weber, Davis, Salt Lake, and Utah Counties; all provide this 20-35 hour course.
You Will Learn:
- The latest information on food safety and food preservation
- Prevention of food-borne illness
- Food storage and safety
- Canning basics
- Canning high and low acid foods
- Pickled and fermented foods
- Preserving jams and jellies
- Freezing foods
- Drying food products
Dates: June 18th-21st
Time: 8 am – 2:30 pm and 12:30pm-4:00pm
(The full course includes each scheduled day from June 18th-21st)
Mount Ogden Junior High (3260 Harrison Blvd) Directions
$130 for the full course; $25/day; $12/half day
Call 801-399-8207 for registration or any questions you may have.
Full course includes: 2 books; student manual and fact sheets; apron; and lots of samples of preserved food!
This is a 12-part, 36-hour training but it can be taken by individual topics you may want.
Call 801-399-8207 for registration or questions.
Tues. June 18
Part I: Introduction, food science and microorganisms (8am-11am)
Part II: Pickling—fermentation and fresh pack; pickled products; hands-on lab (11:30am-2:30pm)
Wed. June 19
Part I: Canning Fruits and Pie Fillings (8am-11am)
Part II: Jams, Jellies, and Spreads (11:30-2:30)
Thurs. June 20
Part I: Dehydrating Fruits and Leathers and Freeze Drying
Part II: Dehydrating Veggies and Jerky
Fri. June 21
Part I: Pressure Canning Low Acid Foods
Part II: Freezing
Canning Tomatoes and Tomato Mixtures
Review and Final Exam; Pie Party (Yeah!); Pressure Lid Testing; Judging Food Preservation at the Fair; Clean Up.
Davis County will not be offering the Master Food Preserver Program this year. A 5-class home food preservation series will be offered in its place.
Dates: Thursday, August 1st, 8th, and 15th
Time: Times varies (see agenda)
Utah House and Utah House Classroom - 920 S 50 W, Kaysville, UT
$20/class; with the purchase of one full priced ticket participants will receive a $5 discount code to attend any other class in the series.
Thursday, August 1st
- 9:30-12:00 Let's Jam - Home Food Preservation Class
- 1:30-4:30 The Basics of Pickling and Fermenting Foods at Home
- Taught by Teresa Hunsaker, Extension FCS Educator Weber County
Thursday, August 8th
- 9:30-12:30 Under Pressure: Pressure Canning for Beginners
- Taught by Cathy Merrill, Extension Assistant Professor Utah County
Thursday, August 15th
- 9:30-12:30 Basics of Canning Tomatoes
- 1:30-4:30 Food Preservation: Basics of Canning Fruit
- Taught by Melanie Jewkes, Extension Associate Professor Salt Lake County and Brittany Bingeman Extension Assistant Professor Salt Lake County
If you have any questions, please call Tessa Henri 435-919-1321
June 25, 26, 27 (Start and finish times are listed in the full agenda below)
Utah State Fair Park 155 North 1000 West - Zion's Building Directions
$130 for the full course; $45/day; $23/half dayRegister Here
Full course includes: Fact sheets; apron; and lots of samples of preserved food!
Each day will include light refreshments and product tasting, however participants are encouraged to bring a sack lunch.
Tues. June 25th
Check-in: 8:30 - 8:55am
- Session 1: 9am - 10:30am Food Safety/Prevention of Foodborne Illness and Canning Basics workshop
- 10:30am - 1:00pm: Canning Fruits and Pie Filling workshop & hands-on lab taught
- Break: 1:00pm - 1:30pm. Bring your own lunch, some snacks provided
- Session 2: 1:30pm - 5pm Dehydrating & Freezing workshop & hands-on lab
Wed. June 26th
- Session 3: 9:00am - 12pm Pressure Canning Meats & Soups workshop & hands-on lab taught
by Cathy Merrill
- Break: 12pm - 12:30pm. Bring your own lunch, some snacks provided
- Session 4: 12:30pm - 5pm Canning Tomatoes and Tomato Products workshop and hands-on lab
Thurs. June 27th
- Session 5: 9:00am - 11:30am James & Jellies workshop & hands-on lab
- 11:30am - 12:00pm Lunch. Provided with canned products
- Session 6: 12:00pm - 4:00pm Pickles & Pickled Products workshop and hands-on lab,
taught by Teresa Hunsaker
- 4:00pm - 5:00pm End of series testing and canned products raffle
2019 Master Food Preserver
Dates: Saturdays, June 15, 22, and 29
Time: 8 am - 4 pm
Spanish Fork Fairgrounds - High Chaparral Building
475 South Main Street, Spanish Fork, UT 84660
$130 for the full course; $25 for individual sessions
Session 1: 8:00-11:30 am Food Safety, principles of canning and dehydrating
Session 2: 12:00-4:00 pm Canning fruits and pie fillings
Session 3: 8:00 am-1:00 pm Pressure canning meats and soups; freezing and freeze-drying
Session 4: 1:30-4:00 pm Jams, jellies and spreads
Session 5: 8:00-11:30 am Pickling, fermenting and fresh pack
Session 6: 12:00-4:00 pm Tomatoes and salsas
For questions, call 801-851-8479.
Master Food Preserver Volunteer Opportunity
After completing the entire course, you may request to become a Master Food Preserver Volunteer. Master Food Preserver Volunteers:
- Provide information at local farmers’ markets, fairs, or community events.
- Answer canning calls during canning season.
- Teach presentations and workshops as part of a team or on your own for community groups and schools.
- Prepare educational displays, writing articles for newsletters, newspapers.
Request more information about becoming a volunteer during the course from your USU Extension agent.