Ask a Question
- A look at gardening catalog terms
- A week ago I was given an easter lily with white trumpet flowers. The plant was very dry, so I watered it, and it dose seem healthy. The blossoms are gone. 1) What, where and when is the best time to plant outside? I would like to plant it in a pot with other flowers. 2) The spot is quite shady, gets a little sun, will it be ok? 3) How should I winterize the plant when it gets cold, so I can have it come out nicely next year? 4) Will it multiply, where I can get other plants? or, How can I plant other starts from the plant? 5) Is there literature on growing easter lilys in Utah? 6) Can I expect blossoms again this summer or fall?
- Are pine needles a good top mulch or addition to my compost pile? Others have said pine needles are poisonous. I live in Washington Terrace and my soil is sandy by nature.
- Are there any crops I can plant now (mid-July) in my garden as my early vegetables finish? My sugar snap peas, onions, beets, spinach, etc. have all left empty space in the garden I'd like to put to use. What are the best choices for fall harvest in the Salt Lake Valley?
- By the end of June, our apple tree looked sickly, with faded, curling brown leaves. I am wondering if the leaves look the way they do because my husband doesn't spray regularly or because the tree is not getting enough water in our arid climate. When he does stick to a schedule, it seems that the leaves don't look much better. This is a tree that is nearly twenty years old. I have never noticed an infestation of bugs. Apples have gotten smaller and smaller by the year, most have worms. The tree is in our front yard and I really would like it to look healthy, regardless of whether or not we get eatable fruit. What should we do?
- Can I grow strawberries in pots? Will they survive winter in pots? Will they produce if they only get afternoon sun? Where can I learn more on this topic?
- Can I recycle garden waste without composting?
- do ants eat one another?
- Do you have information on average last spring freeze dates in Utah?
- Do you have information on spring-blooming perennials?
- Do you have information on water-wise annuals?
- Do you have nutrient information on fall vegetables?
- Do you have tips for growing cauliflower and celery?
- Do you have tips for growing water lilies?
- Do you have tips on pickling vegetables?
- Earlier this season we sprayed with Dursban, can we still eat the fruit?
- How can I protect my raspberries from insect pests?
- How can I safely dispose of excess pesticides, including herbicides?
- How can I stay on top of yard and garden problems?
- How can I store my fresh garden fruits and vegetables?
- How do I control field bind weed?
- How do I get rid of morning glory?
- How do I get rid of snails and slugs?
- How do I get rid of squash bug?
- How do I get rid of the subterranean creature(s) (moles?)that pushing up piles of freshly excavated dirt in all my flower beds and into my sprinkler valve boxes?