Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have thousands of little green worms/caterpillars hanging from webs in our trees, eating the leaves til they are bare. What can we do to get rid of them?
Rate This FAQ
I cannot positively identify which caterpillar you are asking about, because I don't have enough information. But I suspect you are asking about the oak cankerworm, which is a looper type of caterpillar that hangs from silken threads and eats gambel oak.
Read about this insect and how to control it in the USU Extension publication on Gambel Oak, at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG-514.pdf
There are other caterpillars that feed and nest in trees. You can read about them at the Colorado State University website:
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What is causing the holes in my peach and cherry trees?
- Do you have tips for newly planted trees?
- I have a very large Honey Locust tree on the West side of my house. It is dropping leaves and has a lost more dead branches then the previous years. What problems should I look for and what can I do to save this precious tree?
- My sycamore tree has brown-reddish spots along the leaf veins. What is it?
- What are the best shade trees to plant in syracuse? Is it true that if they are fast growing they tend to break easily? Is that common or am I worrying to much about that?
- I have about an acre of commercial property that I want to control all vegetation. Is there a good ground sterilizer on the market? Where can I purchase it?
- We will need to establish some native plants. How much do we have to water Greasewood, Four-wing Saltbush, Rabbitbrush, Green Ephedra, and Spiny Hopsage in #10 containers? We also have two trees, a 5'Utah Juniper and 3' tall Gambel Oaks to water. I understand it best to lightly water for a year and then wean them off in the wet season. Is this correct?
- I have a curly willow that was topped about four years ago. Now it needs to be trimmed. Can I cut the branches back to where they were cut last?