Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have thousands of little green worms/caterpillars hanging from webs in our trees, eating the leaves til they are bare. What can we do to get rid of them?
Rate This FAQ
I cannot positively identify which caterpillar you are asking about, because I don't have enough information. But I suspect you are asking about the oak cankerworm, which is a looper type of caterpillar that hangs from silken threads and eats gambel oak.
Read about this insect and how to control it in the USU Extension publication on Gambel Oak, at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG-514.pdf
There are other caterpillars that feed and nest in trees. You can read about them at the Colorado State University website:
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a large Pinion pine that we trimmed back the lower branches on last fall, The grass is not doing well there due to limited light, could I add a flower bed there instead, and if so what type of plants would do well in my VERY clay soil. Also isnt' there something about not planting flowers over/next to a tree trunk? thanks
- Due to the dry season, the weeds are overtaking our lawn. Besides watering, is there a weed killer I can apply when it is so hot? Is there a fertilizer or food that would help it?
- Do you have tips for naturalizing a landscape with bulbs?
- We have a 3 year old maple tree that seemed to be doing great, but never lost it's leaves last fall. It showed no sign of life this spring and we were ready to replace it. A week or so ago it started sending out leaves at it's crotch. I'm pretty sure the top of the tree is dead. Do we cut it down to it's crotch (losing at least 8 feet of branches)? Will it regain a shape and will it be strong enough to survive the wind? What should we do with this tree?!
- Do you have some advice on how to control mallow weeds? This has been an ongoing problem that even the powerful herbicides can only contain for just a few weeks. They always come back and completely overrun my garden. Any advice?
- Do you have tips for safely removing snow from sidewalks and driveways?
- When do I spray my lawn for weeds?
- What should I do to prepare my lawn for winter?