Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have thousands of little green worms/caterpillars hanging from webs in our trees, eating the leaves til they are bare. What can we do to get rid of them?
Rate This FAQ
I cannot positively identify which caterpillar you are asking about, because I don't have enough information. But I suspect you are asking about the oak cankerworm, which is a looper type of caterpillar that hangs from silken threads and eats gambel oak.
Read about this insect and how to control it in the USU Extension publication on Gambel Oak, at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG-514.pdf
There are other caterpillars that feed and nest in trees. You can read about them at the Colorado State University website:
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Last year my maple tree started losing leaves. I investigated and found it full of earwigs under the bark. I killed the bugs. The bark is falling off, Can I save my tree? It is over 20 years old.
- How invasive are globe willows? Also, what is the distance they should be from the septic system and water lines, etc?
- My sycamore tree has brown-reddish spots along the leaf veins. What is it?
- I have 2 cottonless cottonwoods in my back yard. They are both about 7 years old. I noticed this spring that the trees have really grown tall but on the main limbs in the middle of the trees there are no limbs coming from them. I also find little pieces of new branches all over my lawn like they have come off right at the base where they connect to the tree. There are also at those points little scabs of some kind right where the branch has broken off. What is wrong and can I save these trees? I grew this kind of tree because they are fast growing trees and I wanted to enjoy some shade while I was still around to enjoy it. I am so afraid that there is something seriously wrong and those years will be lost. Can you help me with the info I have given you? I would appreciate it so much if you have an idea of what is wrong and what I can do to fix it.
- Do you have tips for newly planted trees?
- Why do lilacs do so well?
- I have a lumpy yard. I have used a roller to flatten it with litte success I have also aerated and put seed as well and fertalizer down. What else can be done beforeI have to bring in a bobcat and start over?
- When will my flowering shrubs bloom, and when should I prune them and my evergreens?