Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have thousands of little green worms/caterpillars hanging from webs in our trees, eating the leaves til they are bare. What can we do to get rid of them?
Rate This FAQ
I cannot positively identify which caterpillar you are asking about, because I don't have enough information. But I suspect you are asking about the oak cankerworm, which is a looper type of caterpillar that hangs from silken threads and eats gambel oak.
Read about this insect and how to control it in the USU Extension publication on Gambel Oak, at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG-514.pdf
There are other caterpillars that feed and nest in trees. You can read about them at the Colorado State University website:
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am in West Valley city, and for the past 3 years my grass has looked really good, and last year, the entire front park lane died, and I now have large areas in the front yard that are dead as well. I have heard of grubs, however I have no idea how to identify what is going on with the grass or how to treat it. You can pull up larges patches of grass easily, there don't appear to be any roots in some areas and I would like my grass to be pretty again. What can you recommend?
- We bought a new home with no turf established in the backyard. Do you offer any advice for putting in our own yard?
- Why are my cherries wormy?
- What's killing Spruce and Pine trees in Utah?
- How do I know when to pick my fruit?
- I have several Dwarf Blue Arctic Willows in my yard. This year they were full of some kind of wasp or bee. I waited until winter and the leaves dropped off to see if there was a hive or nest and there does not seem to be one. In looking for the nest I noticed some small black bugs on the wood. What should I do, if anything and are the two pests related in any way?
- Do you have tips for success with African violets?
- I live in rose park and am selecting trees to add to my backyard. I have full sun and dark rich soil. I want a good shade tree but am not sure what would be best. I have been looking at different types of maple trees but am wary about their growth rates. Are there any trees that you could recommend?