Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can you tell me the names of some good Apricot and peach trees to grow around here? Also, my space is limited so I just wanted to plant one of each kind of tree. Will they still be able to pollinate?
Rate This FAQ
Many varieties of apricot and peach trees are self-fertile, so they won't need a pollinator and will still produce a crop.
For apricots, find a variety that says "late blooming" - this helps avoid loss of crop to late spring frosts.
It has been many, many years since fruit tree variety trials were conducted in Utah, so there are probably many newer varieties that will perform well. Here are some of the older recommendations:
Apricot: Chinese, Moorpark, Perfection
Peach: Red Haven, Cresthaven, Gleason Elberta, Angelus
Newer variety possibilities:
Apricot: Harglow, Sungold, Moongold, Goldcot
Peach: Reliance, Intrepid
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can you please give me an idea of when I need to spray my fruit trees (I have one each of nectarine, peach, apricot, apple and cherry).Can you let me know when, based on the weather in Cache county? What is the name of the best spray to use?
- What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?
- We have five acreas in Cedar City and would like to plant some nut trees. Can you suggest some types/varieties that would do well here? Would any work or only some?
- We have flowering plum trees in our yard next to the driveway. I would like to stop them from having fruit, is there anything I can spray on them to have them stop producing fruit? If so what is it and when do I spray?
- Can GF-120 be used by home gardeners to control Cherry fruit fly? How should it be applied?
- I am wondering if the worms in cherries are safe to eat? They are so small it doesn't really bother me to eat them but I don't want to if they could make me sick or continue to live and grow inside me.
- I had my apple tree pruned this spring and ever since then apple suckers have been coming up all over my yard; especially in my grass. Nothing I've sprayed seems to kill off the suckers, including round-up and sucker stopper. What do you recommend to erradicate apple suckers?
- When should I spray my apple trees?