Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Can you tell me the names of some good Apricot and peach trees to grow around here? Also, my space is limited so I just wanted to plant one of each kind of tree. Will they still be able to pollinate?
Rate This FAQ
Many varieties of apricot and peach trees are self-fertile, so they won't need a pollinator and will still produce a crop.
For apricots, find a variety that says "late blooming" - this helps avoid loss of crop to late spring frosts.
It has been many, many years since fruit tree variety trials were conducted in Utah, so there are probably many newer varieties that will perform well. Here are some of the older recommendations:
Apricot: Chinese, Moorpark, Perfection
Peach: Red Haven, Cresthaven, Gleason Elberta, Angelus
Newer variety possibilities:
Apricot: Harglow, Sungold, Moongold, Goldcot
Peach: Reliance, Intrepid
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Why are my apple trees wormy every year?
- Two Questions, is Malathion the best spray to use on apple and pear trees and is there a way I could get a list of professionals who spray fruit trees?
- Where do cherry trees grow in Utah?
- I had my apple tree pruned this spring and ever since then apple suckers have been coming up all over my yard; especially in my grass. Nothing I've sprayed seems to kill off the suckers, including round-up and sucker stopper. What do you recommend to erradicate apple suckers?
- My wife and I just planted an Autumn Blaze Maple at our home in Syracuse. Do you have any advice for caring for this particular tree? Both in the long term and short term?
- I have been spraying Captan on my fruit trees for several years. This year I discovered at IFA that Captan is no longer allowed, so I purchased malathion (57%). Is there any problem spraying the malathion over the Captan? It has been three weeks since the last spray of Captan. I'd like to spray tomorrow (7/30), so it would be helpful to know as soon as possible.
- I have many different types of fruit trees in my yard. Yellow Delicious, Gala, Jonathan, Macantosh, Elberta Peaches, Stanley Plums, Danjo Pears, Barlet Pears, Apricots, Bing Cherries, and Elderberries. When is the best time to harvest each of these?
- How can I keep my pears and apples worm free?