Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have cucumber plants that I started growing from seeds in march of this year. I replanted about 2 weeks ago into a 20 gallon tub. I put the plant in a back room where the sun comes in alot, it started growing really well then i put the plant out side during the day and bring it in at night. Since then the leaves have started turning brown on the edges and it doesn't look very good. I have a tomato plant also and it is doing just fine, its very green and getting bigger by the minute. Do you have any suggestions for me?
Rate This FAQ
When growing plants in containers, you should move plants into bigger containers when roots become pot-bound. Move plants into the "next" size pot - not into a much larger pot. Large containers of potting media can stay too wet if the plants' root system are not large enough to use much water. When the potting media stays wet, fungus and other organisms may start to grow, causing root rot on your small transplant. Then the transplant begins to look like it isn't getting enough water, since the roots are unable to function. This is one possible explanation of what has happened to your cucumber. Another possibility is that the tender young transplant was sunburned and/or windburned. Tender young seedlings need to be "hardened off" before planting outdoors, especially in hot dry springs like this year's. If the plant survives, its new leaves will be able to withstand the solar radiation and drying wind much better than the indoor-grown leaves.
I suggest you stake the tomato plant or provide some type of support for it soon, so that it will not fall over and out of the pot as it grows. If it gets too tall, support the entire plant by tying it to a post or wall so the entire thing won't blow over.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Should I cut back my perennials for winter? High Country Gardens says to wait until early-mid spring, but that is contrary to what I have been doing. It is true that I suffer some loss each spring.
- I am looking for information on when pumkins are ripe.
- Is it possible to eradicate puncture vine by sterilizing the soil with solar energy through plastic or glass?
- I'd like to plant annual vines - do you have suggestions?
- What do I do about squash bugs?
- When is the best time to plant annual flowers outside?
- I would like to fertilize for weeds, but it has been so hot lately. Is there anything I can do this time of the year to kill weeds in my lawn, and if so, should I use granules or a spray?
- My tomato plants look beautiful. However, most of the tomatoes, when they start to turn red, they also start to spoil and turn black from the bottom up. Why is that? Could it be bugs or too much water?