Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have cucumber plants that I started growing from seeds in march of this year. I replanted about 2 weeks ago into a 20 gallon tub. I put the plant in a back room where the sun comes in alot, it started growing really well then i put the plant out side during the day and bring it in at night. Since then the leaves have started turning brown on the edges and it doesn't look very good. I have a tomato plant also and it is doing just fine, its very green and getting bigger by the minute. Do you have any suggestions for me?
Rate This FAQ
When growing plants in containers, you should move plants into bigger containers when roots become pot-bound. Move plants into the "next" size pot - not into a much larger pot. Large containers of potting media can stay too wet if the plants' root system are not large enough to use much water. When the potting media stays wet, fungus and other organisms may start to grow, causing root rot on your small transplant. Then the transplant begins to look like it isn't getting enough water, since the roots are unable to function. This is one possible explanation of what has happened to your cucumber. Another possibility is that the tender young transplant was sunburned and/or windburned. Tender young seedlings need to be "hardened off" before planting outdoors, especially in hot dry springs like this year's. If the plant survives, its new leaves will be able to withstand the solar radiation and drying wind much better than the indoor-grown leaves.
I suggest you stake the tomato plant or provide some type of support for it soon, so that it will not fall over and out of the pot as it grows. If it gets too tall, support the entire plant by tying it to a post or wall so the entire thing won't blow over.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How can I protect my raspberries from insect pests?
- I want to find out about the master gardener program, my computer wont let me link, can you give me more info or a different link address or something. I want to know sign up date class times, location, cost and if aid is available. Thanks so much for your help.
- Do you have tips for growing cauliflower and celery?
- I started my Basil from seed and they were doing great, now something is eating them. The plants outside and inside. One insect looks like a nat the other one has feelers out front and is very small and fast. What should I spray them with? Should I use bark around them?
- I have a reliance peach tree, 3rd year in the ground, and this year I noticed almost all of the branch tips were black, down about 3 inches. Some of the leaves started to brown spot and turn yellow, eventually falling. Also some of the branched produce fruit, but no foliage, the fruit is very weak and just falls in a light breeze. What can I do to correct this ?
- When should I spray my apple and apricat trees to prevent worms in the fruit? What product should I use? I planted a plum tree last fall, what should I do for it now?
- When is the best time to plant annual flowers outside?
- When can I plant peas? Should the peas be soaked before planting them?