Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I go about planting yams? We have already started the roots forming in a jar of water but need to know how to plant them. Thanks for your response. Duane
Rate This FAQ
Sweet potatoes (often called yams, although they are technically different plants) are a long warm season crop. You will be more successful growing them in southern Utah because of their longer season and warmer temperatures.
You can read details about growing sweet potatoes in USU Extension's publication "Sweet Potatoes in the Garden", at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/sweetpotato2006-10.pdf
In Northern Utah, I would recommend pre-heating the soil in the area you will grow the sweet potatoes. Cover it with black plastic for a week or so before planting. Then you may cut planting holes and plant the slips in those holes, with the black plastic still covering the soil in the row. This works best with drip irrigation.
During the cooler nights of early summer, cover the rows with floating row cover to keep the plants warmer.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Are pine needles a good top mulch or addition to my compost pile? Others have said pine needles are poisonous. I live in Washington Terrace and my soil is sandy by nature.
- My raspberry bushes are gigantic and are not producing berries. How do I prune them to avoid this? Can they be pruned right now or do I wait for Fall?
- I'm wondering if there is a variety of Almond tree that grows well in Davis county. And, are they self-fertile? Can they be grown near nectarines? (I've read that they shouldn't be grown near peaches as they can develop a bitter taste.)
- How do I get rid of squash bug?
- What is the shelf life of fertilizer? I have some bags that have been stored in an outside shed and wondered whether they can be used or should be discarded.
- Tomato Questions Answered
- Can I grow strawberries in pots? Will they survive winter in pots? Will they produce if they only get afternoon sun? Where can I learn more on this topic?
- I understand that Ace 55 tomatoes are low in acid. Is it unwise to use them for canning even if Lemon Juice is added?