Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I go about planting yams? We have already started the roots forming in a jar of water but need to know how to plant them. Thanks for your response. Duane
Rate This FAQ
Sweet potatoes (often called yams, although they are technically different plants) are a long warm season crop. You will be more successful growing them in southern Utah because of their longer season and warmer temperatures.
You can read details about growing sweet potatoes in USU Extension's publication "Sweet Potatoes in the Garden", at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/sweetpotato2006-10.pdf
In Northern Utah, I would recommend pre-heating the soil in the area you will grow the sweet potatoes. Cover it with black plastic for a week or so before planting. Then you may cut planting holes and plant the slips in those holes, with the black plastic still covering the soil in the row. This works best with drip irrigation.
During the cooler nights of early summer, cover the rows with floating row cover to keep the plants warmer.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Is there some place in the Salt Lake area where I can donate my garden snails? I read that thrushes and ducks (along with many other critters such as beetles, which I don't want to introduce into my garden) will eat snails. I know I could kill the snails using a variety of methods, but it seems like somebody (not me!) might like to eat them. Ideas?
- I am growing corn in a large garden box. My corn stalks are now five feet tall with several leaves, but none have any ears visible yet. When are ears supposed to be evident on a corn stalk?
- What are some good strawberry varieties to grow in our area? I would like both june-bearing and ever-bearing
- Do you have information on spring-blooming perennials?
- when should I spray a cherry tree to get rid of the little white worms. What is the best product to use in controling this problem
- This is my first year planting carrots. Should I try to germinate them indoors before planting outside? Also, is it too soon to plant them outside?
- How can I store my fresh garden fruits and vegetables?
- Do you have information on water-wise annuals?