Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I go about planting yams? We have already started the roots forming in a jar of water but need to know how to plant them. Thanks for your response. Duane
Rate This FAQ
Sweet potatoes (often called yams, although they are technically different plants) are a long warm season crop. You will be more successful growing them in southern Utah because of their longer season and warmer temperatures.
You can read details about growing sweet potatoes in USU Extension's publication "Sweet Potatoes in the Garden", at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/sweetpotato2006-10.pdf
In Northern Utah, I would recommend pre-heating the soil in the area you will grow the sweet potatoes. Cover it with black plastic for a week or so before planting. Then you may cut planting holes and plant the slips in those holes, with the black plastic still covering the soil in the row. This works best with drip irrigation.
During the cooler nights of early summer, cover the rows with floating row cover to keep the plants warmer.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have cucumber plants that I started growing from seeds in march of this year. I replanted about 2 weeks ago into a 20 gallon tub. I put the plant in a back room where the sun comes in alot, it started growing really well then i put the plant out side during the day and bring it in at night. Since then the leaves have started turning brown on the edges and it doesn't look very good. I have a tomato plant also and it is doing just fine, its very green and getting bigger by the minute. Do you have any suggestions for me?
- I'd like to plant annual vines - do you have suggestions?
- What is the secret to getting carrots to germinate?
- I heard there is an organism in garden soil that can be harmful to pregnant women. Is this true?
- I purchased several pepper plants from a local nursery this spring one of them I do not know if the fruit is a pepper. They are black fruit about the size of a grape, full of seeds, and they do not smell hot, all the others are jalapeno.
- How do I prune my raspberries?
- You have some history on the popularity of apples?
- When can I cut back my tulips and other spring bulbs?