Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I go about planting yams? We have already started the roots forming in a jar of water but need to know how to plant them. Thanks for your response. Duane
Rate This FAQ
Sweet potatoes (often called yams, although they are technically different plants) are a long warm season crop. You will be more successful growing them in southern Utah because of their longer season and warmer temperatures.
You can read details about growing sweet potatoes in USU Extension's publication "Sweet Potatoes in the Garden", at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/sweetpotato2006-10.pdf
In Northern Utah, I would recommend pre-heating the soil in the area you will grow the sweet potatoes. Cover it with black plastic for a week or so before planting. Then you may cut planting holes and plant the slips in those holes, with the black plastic still covering the soil in the row. This works best with drip irrigation.
During the cooler nights of early summer, cover the rows with floating row cover to keep the plants warmer.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We just moved to Davis County and want to plant our first garden. What things will grow well? What should we avoid? When should we plant? Any other basic tips about our area would be appreciated.
- We moved here recently into a brand new neighborhood and are just now having a landscape Co. come in and lay sprinklers, top soil and sod. We will be planting bushes and trees. Question: Is it a waste of money, time and effort to try to establish perennials at this late date into virgin soil? Or should I wait until spring to do that part of establishing a flower garden?
- When is the best time for transplanting Mint. I have some that is in a bad location and I need to move it.
- Should I cut back my perennials for winter? High Country Gardens says to wait until early-mid spring, but that is contrary to what I have been doing. It is true that I suffer some loss each spring.
- when should I plaint string beans
- Should I rotate my vegetable crops?
- Can I recycle garden waste without composting?
- We have been putting the dog poop in the composte pile. Is this going to be bad for our composte or for our garden?