Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I seem to have terrible luck with cherry trees. I have 2 questions. first, Since they have taken away Diazinon as a root borer killer, how do I manage root borer? Second, I live in the city and have irrigation water going to my yard and garden. How do I water them. I'm afraid one tree, that sits to the back of my garden is getting a lot of water when I flood my tomatoes. Do they not like flooding. How can I protect this tree? How should I water my other cherry trees planted away from my veg garden. I got two montmaurancy trees last year and they both died. I love cherry trees and I need HELP
Rate This FAQ
If you are asking about the prionus root borer, there are currently no recommended insecticides for this pest. See the USU Extension Fact Sheet about the borer at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Orchard_2005-01.pdf
Cherry trees will not tolerate "wet feet", so you must plant them somewhere with good soil drainage. If there isn't anywhere on your property with good drainage, you could build a berm so that most of their root system is in well-drained soil. Here is a link to a publication with more information about growing cherry trees: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-9.pdf
Water the trees so that the soil drains completely between irrigations. Check that the soil is drained before watering again. You can do this by pushing a long screwdriver into the soil - you'll feel resistance when you hit dry soil.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When should I spray my apple trees?
- My wife and I just planted an Autumn Blaze Maple at our home in Syracuse. Do you have any advice for caring for this particular tree? Both in the long term and short term?
- I'm trying to identify the variety of peach my father has growing in his yard. It had a medium-sized fruit which ripened the first part of September, had exceptionally sweet yellow flesh, was a freestone variety with a red center around the pit. Can you help me?
- We have five acreas in Cedar City and would like to plant some nut trees. Can you suggest some types/varieties that would do well here? Would any work or only some?
- Can you plant ONE apple tree and get fruit? Everyone says you have to plant two different varieties, but I only have room for one tree.
- my pear trees leaves are drying up and falling off and now an oily sap is coming from trunk is this normal activity for prefall, if not what is problem?
- I have a grove of plum trees that make a nice addition to the landscape, but too much fruit is a problem. Is there something to treat the tree with so it doesn't produce fruit?
- I need to buy some tree spacers to reshape my fruit trees. Where can I buy tree spacers?