Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I seem to have terrible luck with cherry trees. I have 2 questions. first, Since they have taken away Diazinon as a root borer killer, how do I manage root borer? Second, I live in the city and have irrigation water going to my yard and garden. How do I water them. I'm afraid one tree, that sits to the back of my garden is getting a lot of water when I flood my tomatoes. Do they not like flooding. How can I protect this tree? How should I water my other cherry trees planted away from my veg garden. I got two montmaurancy trees last year and they both died. I love cherry trees and I need HELP
Rate This FAQ
If you are asking about the prionus root borer, there are currently no recommended insecticides for this pest. See the USU Extension Fact Sheet about the borer at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Orchard_2005-01.pdf
Cherry trees will not tolerate "wet feet", so you must plant them somewhere with good soil drainage. If there isn't anywhere on your property with good drainage, you could build a berm so that most of their root system is in well-drained soil. Here is a link to a publication with more information about growing cherry trees: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-9.pdf
Water the trees so that the soil drains completely between irrigations. Check that the soil is drained before watering again. You can do this by pushing a long screwdriver into the soil - you'll feel resistance when you hit dry soil.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I had my apple tree pruned this spring and ever since then apple suckers have been coming up all over my yard; especially in my grass. Nothing I've sprayed seems to kill off the suckers, including round-up and sucker stopper. What do you recommend to erradicate apple suckers?
- Can you please give me an idea of when I need to spray my fruit trees (I have one each of nectarine, peach, apricot, apple and cherry).Can you let me know when, based on the weather in Cache county? What is the name of the best spray to use?
- We bought an apple tree to plant on arbor day,but still haven't got to planting it. I've tried to keep it watered and in the sun, but the poor thing is struggling. The leaves appear to be dying on the ends. Will it still survive if we get it in the ground? Also can it be planted in an area that gets a lot of water? It is a Braeburn tree.
- I am wondering if the worms in cherries are safe to eat? They are so small it doesn't really bother me to eat them but I don't want to if they could make me sick or continue to live and grow inside me.
- Apricots and peaches--what causes the reddish or purple-brown spots on new leaves, buds, shoots and fruit?
- Where do cherry trees grow in Utah?
- Two Questions, is Malathion the best spray to use on apple and pear trees and is there a way I could get a list of professionals who spray fruit trees?
- How do I protect my peach trees from insects?