Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I seem to have terrible luck with cherry trees. I have 2 questions. first, Since they have taken away Diazinon as a root borer killer, how do I manage root borer? Second, I live in the city and have irrigation water going to my yard and garden. How do I water them. I'm afraid one tree, that sits to the back of my garden is getting a lot of water when I flood my tomatoes. Do they not like flooding. How can I protect this tree? How should I water my other cherry trees planted away from my veg garden. I got two montmaurancy trees last year and they both died. I love cherry trees and I need HELP
Rate This FAQ
If you are asking about the prionus root borer, there are currently no recommended insecticides for this pest. See the USU Extension Fact Sheet about the borer at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Orchard_2005-01.pdf
Cherry trees will not tolerate "wet feet", so you must plant them somewhere with good soil drainage. If there isn't anywhere on your property with good drainage, you could build a berm so that most of their root system is in well-drained soil. Here is a link to a publication with more information about growing cherry trees: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-9.pdf
Water the trees so that the soil drains completely between irrigations. Check that the soil is drained before watering again. You can do this by pushing a long screwdriver into the soil - you'll feel resistance when you hit dry soil.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- An ornamental cherry tree that has been planted for 3 years suddenly dropped all of it's leaves. Leaves were green one day; gone the next. A neighbor verified some of the branches are dead (using a scratch test); others are still green. Tree has been watered by sprinkler, also deep watered with slow hose twice during the summer. The base of the tree does not seem to have any borer damage. Tree is in full sun. Any ideas?
- Our 4 year old peach tree is blossoming and we noticed a "web" full of caterpillars in one of the branch forks. Several of the 1/2 to 3/4 inch larvae were on other branches as well. EEWWW! What do I do?
- I need to buy some tree spacers to reshape my fruit trees. Where can I buy tree spacers?
- How do I keep the little white worms out of my cherries?
- How can I keep my pears and apples worm free?
- I have many different types of fruit trees in my yard. Yellow Delicious, Gala, Jonathan, Macantosh, Elberta Peaches, Stanley Plums, Danjo Pears, Barlet Pears, Apricots, Bing Cherries, and Elderberries. When is the best time to harvest each of these?
- What is the best way to tell when a d'Anjou pear is ready to harvest?
- I have some young apple trees that have sprouts coming up around trunk, i'm told to cut these off and other low branches and stick in soil and roots will develop to plant. Will this work? Am I supposed to cut at angle and put in soil as I'm being told?