Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I seem to have terrible luck with cherry trees. I have 2 questions. first, Since they have taken away Diazinon as a root borer killer, how do I manage root borer? Second, I live in the city and have irrigation water going to my yard and garden. How do I water them. I'm afraid one tree, that sits to the back of my garden is getting a lot of water when I flood my tomatoes. Do they not like flooding. How can I protect this tree? How should I water my other cherry trees planted away from my veg garden. I got two montmaurancy trees last year and they both died. I love cherry trees and I need HELP
Rate This FAQ
If you are asking about the prionus root borer, there are currently no recommended insecticides for this pest. See the USU Extension Fact Sheet about the borer at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Orchard_2005-01.pdf
Cherry trees will not tolerate "wet feet", so you must plant them somewhere with good soil drainage. If there isn't anywhere on your property with good drainage, you could build a berm so that most of their root system is in well-drained soil. Here is a link to a publication with more information about growing cherry trees: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-9.pdf
Water the trees so that the soil drains completely between irrigations. Check that the soil is drained before watering again. You can do this by pushing a long screwdriver into the soil - you'll feel resistance when you hit dry soil.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When is the proper time for me to spray for worms on my Bing Cherry Tree? What do I use?
- An ornamental cherry tree that has been planted for 3 years suddenly dropped all of it's leaves. Leaves were green one day; gone the next. A neighbor verified some of the branches are dead (using a scratch test); others are still green. Tree has been watered by sprinkler, also deep watered with slow hose twice during the summer. The base of the tree does not seem to have any borer damage. Tree is in full sun. Any ideas?
- Apricots and peaches--what causes the reddish or purple-brown spots on new leaves, buds, shoots and fruit?
- Do you have an email list I can subscribe to that informs me when to spray my fruit trees?
- We are trying to revive some neglected apple trees that were pretty dried out. We forked up some of the dead grass and sprinkled for a few hours. But the leaves are curled along their axis like a hark cor taco instead of being their normal flat like a tostada selves. Is this a result of too much water, not enough, insects or what?
- Where do cherry trees grow in Utah?
- my pear trees leaves are drying up and falling off and now an oily sap is coming from trunk is this normal activity for prefall, if not what is problem?
- I have a grove of plum trees that make a nice addition to the landscape, but too much fruit is a problem. Is there something to treat the tree with so it doesn't produce fruit?