Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I seem to have terrible luck with cherry trees. I have 2 questions. first, Since they have taken away Diazinon as a root borer killer, how do I manage root borer? Second, I live in the city and have irrigation water going to my yard and garden. How do I water them. I'm afraid one tree, that sits to the back of my garden is getting a lot of water when I flood my tomatoes. Do they not like flooding. How can I protect this tree? How should I water my other cherry trees planted away from my veg garden. I got two montmaurancy trees last year and they both died. I love cherry trees and I need HELP
Rate This FAQ
If you are asking about the prionus root borer, there are currently no recommended insecticides for this pest. See the USU Extension Fact Sheet about the borer at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Orchard_2005-01.pdf
Cherry trees will not tolerate "wet feet", so you must plant them somewhere with good soil drainage. If there isn't anywhere on your property with good drainage, you could build a berm so that most of their root system is in well-drained soil. Here is a link to a publication with more information about growing cherry trees: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-9.pdf
Water the trees so that the soil drains completely between irrigations. Check that the soil is drained before watering again. You can do this by pushing a long screwdriver into the soil - you'll feel resistance when you hit dry soil.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What is the best way to tell when a d'Anjou pear is ready to harvest?
- Why are my apple trees wormy every year?
- Our family has a huge peach orchard and this year we have been having the pit of the peach split in half when you open it and it looks like another "seed" is trying to grow in the middle of it. What is causing this and how do you fix it?
- I have a 6year old dwarf braeburn apple tree. It has gotten very tall and a large part of the tree split off in a windstorm. I need to prune it back and am wondering when I can safely do so.
- Where do cherry trees grow in Utah?
- my pear trees leaves are drying up and falling off and now an oily sap is coming from trunk is this normal activity for prefall, if not what is problem?
- We bought an apple tree to plant on arbor day,but still haven't got to planting it. I've tried to keep it watered and in the sun, but the poor thing is struggling. The leaves appear to be dying on the ends. Will it still survive if we get it in the ground? Also can it be planted in an area that gets a lot of water? It is a Braeburn tree.
- When can I stop spraying my apple trees for coddling moth for the season?