Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What do I do about squash bugs?
Rate This FAQ
Squash bugs are very difficult to control. Insecticides are not very effective, but if insecticides are used they work best against the very young nymphs.
* If you plan to use insecticides, sprays should be applied when small nymphs are present, which generally occurs early in the season.
* Before spraying, check plants carefully to make certain that small nymphs are present. Squash bugs hide on the underside of leaves or down near the base of the plant.
* Nonchemical methods of control are usually as effective as insecticides. Serious attack by squash bugs can be avoided by planting sensitive varieties early so harvest is complete by early August.
* Once harvest is complete, remove the squash plants from garden. Plants left in the garden allow the bugs to build up to higher numbers, which will lead to greater problems the following year.
* Plant varieties of squash that are less sensitive to the bugs. Zucchini seems to be the variety most sensitive to attack by squash bugs. Other summer varieties and most winter varieties seem better able to tolerate feeding by squash bugs.
* Squash bugs are active during the day. At night the bugs hide under boards or other objects. This behavior can be used against them in small scale plantings such as gardens. Place boards near the plants (between rows or around the garden edge) and early every morning turn them over and squish all the bugs you find.
* Squash bugs also seek out sites like wood piles or sheds to spend the winter. Large numbers of bugs overwintering in these sites can lead to high numbers of bugs in your garden the following year.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I would like to plant vegetables in containers this winter. What can you tell me about indoor gardening?
- We have been putting the dog poop in the composte pile. Is this going to be bad for our composte or for our garden?
- when should I plaint string beans
- They sell blueberry bushes at Costco. Can they grow in Utah and if so what kind of soil prep is needed?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- how many eggplants do you get from one plant.
- How do I get rid of snails and slugs?
- What is the shelf life of fertilizer? I have some bags that have been stored in an outside shed and wondered whether they can be used or should be discarded.