Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I planted tomatoes last weekend because it looked like we were going to have warm weather, but yikes! it says it will snow tonight. How can I protect my little tomato plants?
Rate This FAQ
Wall'o'waters, the water-filled plastic cylinders work very well to insulate tender tomatoes and peppers from late frost and freezing nighttime temperatures. The walls of the cylinder are pockets of water that absorb heat during the day and release heat at night. Most of the time, the top of the cylinder should stay open so that heat can vent out during the day. During very cold nights, you should either pinch the top closed or cover it with insulating material.
If you have too many tomato plants to use wall'o'waters, frost cloth will help prevent frost damage. This is a spun polyester type fabric that is lightweight enough to not break or smash your plants, but retains ground heat enough to prevent frost damage unless temperatures drop too low.
Hot caps are an old-fashioned paper "cap" that you can stake down over small tender plants on frosty nights.
If you don't have any of these things, put a bucket over the tomato plants and weight it down with a rock.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What is an effective way to handle squash bugs? This is the second year they have killed all our winter squash plants?
- A look at gardening catalog terms
- when should I spray a cherry tree to get rid of the little white worms. What is the best product to use in controling this problem
- How do I prune my raspberries?
- Should I rotate my vegetable crops?
- Moved to a new location in Riverton and started a garden. This spring I added compost and steer manure. The garden is watered using secondary irrigation. The leaves on the beans, corn, and strawberries turn yellow with a burned look on the outer edges of the leaves and then the plant dies. The tomatoes and melon plants all seem to be doing well. Any idea's?
- How do I go about planting yams? We have already started the roots forming in a jar of water but need to know how to plant them. Thanks for your response. Duane
- When should I spray my apple and apricat trees to prevent worms in the fruit? What product should I use? I planted a plum tree last fall, what should I do for it now?