Could you please explain what is the university extensions and does it have any requirement to join the extension?



Utah State University Extension is part of Utah State University, the land-grant college of Utah. Every state in the United States has a similar system, often called the Cooperative Extension Service. Throughout the state, counties cooperate in funding state employees who work to disseminate the science-backed knowledge generated at the university. County Agents often teach and consult with their county's farmers and ranchers to help them produce food in a sustainable and profitable way.

Although Extension is part of the university, the classes and workshops we teach are not for college credit. These classes teach skills and knowledge people can use to improve their daily lives.

Cooperative Extension publishes Fact Sheets on many topics, including horticulture, agriculture, nutrition, cooking, food safety, home economics, and more.

Another large component of Cooperative Extension across the U.S. is the 4-H program, leading youth to personal growth and leadership abilities.

There is no "entrance fee" or any need to "join" the Cooperative Extension in your state. Simply look for your state's Cooperative Extension service and find the nearest office to check it out!

Posted on 3 May 2007

Maggie Wolf
Horticulture Agent, Salt Lake County

Other Questions In This Topic