Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have some young apple trees that have sprouts coming up around trunk, i'm told to cut these off and other low branches and stick in soil and roots will develop to plant. Will this work? Am I supposed to cut at angle and put in soil as I'm being told?
Rate This FAQ
Success rate for apple tree cuttings is typically very low. Rootstocks are usually produced by a propagation technique called "stooling". This is where young trees are cut off just above the soil line. As suckers sprout and grow from the trunk base, soil or other light-blocking material is layered around the trunk and sucker bases. Because the bottom part of the sprout thinks it is in the ground, it will start growing roots at its base. Then the rooted sprout may be cut away from the parent and planted. This rootstock will later be topworked (grafted) with the desired apple variety.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.
- I have a grove of plum trees that make a nice addition to the landscape, but too much fruit is a problem. Is there something to treat the tree with so it doesn't produce fruit?
- Can you plant ONE apple tree and get fruit? Everyone says you have to plant two different varieties, but I only have room for one tree.
- How do I get rid of codling moth?
- When can I stop spraying my apple trees for coddling moth for the season?
- I seem to have terrible luck with cherry trees. I have 2 questions. first, Since they have taken away Diazinon as a root borer killer, how do I manage root borer? Second, I live in the city and have irrigation water going to my yard and garden. How do I water them. I'm afraid one tree, that sits to the back of my garden is getting a lot of water when I flood my tomatoes. Do they not like flooding. How can I protect this tree? How should I water my other cherry trees planted away from my veg garden. I got two montmaurancy trees last year and they both died. I love cherry trees and I need HELP
- We have scrub oak in our back yard. Almost overnight we have thousands of little green worms that have made webs over the leaves of the trees and are eating every green leaf in sight! Help! What do we do???
- Why is the timing of dormant spray important?