Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have some young apple trees that have sprouts coming up around trunk, i'm told to cut these off and other low branches and stick in soil and roots will develop to plant. Will this work? Am I supposed to cut at angle and put in soil as I'm being told?
Rate This FAQ
Success rate for apple tree cuttings is typically very low. Rootstocks are usually produced by a propagation technique called "stooling". This is where young trees are cut off just above the soil line. As suckers sprout and grow from the trunk base, soil or other light-blocking material is layered around the trunk and sucker bases. Because the bottom part of the sprout thinks it is in the ground, it will start growing roots at its base. Then the rooted sprout may be cut away from the parent and planted. This rootstock will later be topworked (grafted) with the desired apple variety.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can you tell me the names of some good Apricot and peach trees to grow around here? Also, my space is limited so I just wanted to plant one of each kind of tree. Will they still be able to pollinate?
- What is the proper time to fertilize fruit trees? Also, is there only one appropriate time of year to prune fruit trees?
- Our family has a huge peach orchard and this year we have been having the pit of the peach split in half when you open it and it looks like another "seed" is trying to grow in the middle of it. What is causing this and how do you fix it?
- How do I keep the little white worms out of my cherries?
- What dwarf nectarine (or semi-dwarf) will grow well in SL County (on the East Bench)? Also, how much space will it need when fully mature?
- I have many different types of fruit trees in my yard. Yellow Delicious, Gala, Jonathan, Macantosh, Elberta Peaches, Stanley Plums, Danjo Pears, Barlet Pears, Apricots, Bing Cherries, and Elderberries. When is the best time to harvest each of these?
- Is there a variety of Nectarine which will grow well here in northern Utah? Can I grow just one tree? Is it okay to grow it near a peach tree or will they cross-pollinate and cause problems? Do they have the same risk of disease as peaches do?
- Can GF-120 be used by home gardeners to control Cherry fruit fly? How should it be applied?