Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have some young apple trees that have sprouts coming up around trunk, i'm told to cut these off and other low branches and stick in soil and roots will develop to plant. Will this work? Am I supposed to cut at angle and put in soil as I'm being told?
Rate This FAQ
Success rate for apple tree cuttings is typically very low. Rootstocks are usually produced by a propagation technique called "stooling". This is where young trees are cut off just above the soil line. As suckers sprout and grow from the trunk base, soil or other light-blocking material is layered around the trunk and sucker bases. Because the bottom part of the sprout thinks it is in the ground, it will start growing roots at its base. Then the rooted sprout may be cut away from the parent and planted. This rootstock will later be topworked (grafted) with the desired apple variety.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have five acreas in Cedar City and would like to plant some nut trees. Can you suggest some types/varieties that would do well here? Would any work or only some?
- How do I know when it is time to pick my pear tree?
- Two Questions, is Malathion the best spray to use on apple and pear trees and is there a way I could get a list of professionals who spray fruit trees?
- When can I stop spraying my apple trees for coddling moth for the season?
- We live in Herriman and have a 25 x 30 foot plot of land that we would like to turn into an orchard. We would like to plant a variety of apples, pears, plums, and peaches. When should we plant? What kinds should we plant? How many of each should we plant? We are total beginners! Are there books or other resources you would recommend to help us that give answers for our specific area?
- Where can I find some info on two things. Thing 1; Why can't I get a decent peach from growing a tree from a seed? and Thing 2; "Which came first the chicken or the peach" or "How does grafting work?"
- This is the same question I ask every year. What is the best time to pick golden delicious apples near the Hilcrest School area in Logan.? Two, what is the best way to store apples when all I have is a regrigerator in the garage? Thanks for responding to my questions.
- Why is the timing of dormant spray important?