Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a large Pinion pine that we trimmed back the lower branches on last fall, The grass is not doing well there due to limited light, could I add a flower bed there instead, and if so what type of plants would do well in my VERY clay soil. Also isnt' there something about not planting flowers over/next to a tree trunk? thanks
Rate This FAQ
Growing flowers under pine trees is usually difficult. I have read different theories of why; some say it's because the needles make the soil underneath too acid. I find this hard to believe here in Utah. Others say it's because pine trees cast too much shade. I find that hard to accept, too. Then there are some saying that pine trees are allelopathic (toxic) to other plants. And some say that the pine tree is too competitive for the water in the soil.
Whatever the reason, it is true that growing plants under pine trees is problematic.
I prefer to see pine trees with branches all the way to the ground; this solves the dilemma!
I have heard some suggestions for plants that will survive under pine trees, but I cannot say for sure they will work for you. They include Vinca major (could become invasive, so beware!), sweet woodruff, azaleas, hostas, and wild strawberries.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What tasks should I be doing now in my orchard?
- Do you test soil?
- we would like to plant a cherry tree in our backyard for the fruit and the shade. what would be the proper kind to purchase,we like sweet cherries.
- I have a lumpy yard. I have used a roller to flatten it with litte success I have also aerated and put seed as well and fertalizer down. What else can be done beforeI have to bring in a bobcat and start over?
- My pear tree has dead stems that curl downward. What is happening?
- Leaves on my maple tree have turned yellow, but the veins are green. Is this an iron problem?
- Last year my maple tree started losing leaves. I investigated and found it full of earwigs under the bark. I killed the bugs. The bark is falling off, Can I save my tree? It is over 20 years old.
- Do you have tips on firewise landscaping?