Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a large Pinion pine that we trimmed back the lower branches on last fall, The grass is not doing well there due to limited light, could I add a flower bed there instead, and if so what type of plants would do well in my VERY clay soil. Also isnt' there something about not planting flowers over/next to a tree trunk? thanks
Rate This FAQ
Growing flowers under pine trees is usually difficult. I have read different theories of why; some say it's because the needles make the soil underneath too acid. I find this hard to believe here in Utah. Others say it's because pine trees cast too much shade. I find that hard to accept, too. Then there are some saying that pine trees are allelopathic (toxic) to other plants. And some say that the pine tree is too competitive for the water in the soil.
Whatever the reason, it is true that growing plants under pine trees is problematic.
I prefer to see pine trees with branches all the way to the ground; this solves the dilemma!
I have heard some suggestions for plants that will survive under pine trees, but I cannot say for sure they will work for you. They include Vinca major (could become invasive, so beware!), sweet woodruff, azaleas, hostas, and wild strawberries.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have grass growing in my myrtle(I know it has another name but I can't think of it) and I would like to get out of there. How can I do that without killing the ground cover that I have?
- Do you have some advice on how to control mallow weeds? This has been an ongoing problem that even the powerful herbicides can only contain for just a few weeks. They always come back and completely overrun my garden. Any advice?
- My lawn is really struggling with the heat and drought. Is there a point when it just won't recover?
- We live in Riverton with heavy clay soil. Will gypsum pellets help the soil so water does not run off so much? Can gypsum be applied on top of existing grass? In soil flower beds? In vegetable gardens? Is Utelite better than gypsum? Thank you.
- I live in rose park and am selecting trees to add to my backyard. I have full sun and dark rich soil. I want a good shade tree but am not sure what would be best. I have been looking at different types of maple trees but am wary about their growth rates. Are there any trees that you could recommend?
- Is it workable to grow scrub oak from acorns, and if so, I'd appreciate direction. I live near Foothill Drive in SLC.
- Is There Any Way To Eliminate Borers That Leave What Looks Like Sawdust At The Base Of Our Aspen Trees?
- I need to know what is best for killing vines? I have a fence full and I would like to get rid of them.