Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I purchased a white and pink dog wood from the nursery at Lowe's. We planted it according to directions about two weeks ago and I don't see any new growth on it at all yet. I broke off a few small twigs and it is still green. They are only about 4 feet high and were in pots when purchased. There were no leaves on them only bare branches. How long does it take to see if they are growing properly since they are guaranteed if they die. Thank you
Rate This FAQ
I'm not sure where you planted these flowering dogwood trees. If you are in Utah, you have just planted a very demanding baby. Flowering dogwood (Cornus florida) prefer an acid soil that is usually cool and moist. This would not be a tree I would recommend for most of Utah. Our soil is naturally high pH and low in organic matter - practically opposite what these trees prefer.
In answer to your question, though, you can expect the tree to leaf out by the date of your average last frost. Transplanting may shock this tree and retard leaf emergence. Check the limbs every week (barely scratch the outer layer with a fingernail - if it is limber and green underneath, it's still alive). If branch tips test dead, move back along the branch towards the trunk and re-check.
If the tree doesn't leaf out by early summer, I would recommend that you return it for a refund because there is probably something wrong with it.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Reveille grass seed. How good is this type of seed for the West Jordan area(Oquirrh shadows area)?
- I sodded my back yard 3 years ago with RTF. It has not held up well, especially in the higher traffic areas where it is completely dead. Any suggestions?
- Can you suggest some hardy perennials for my landscape?
- Spotted spurge is taking over my lawn. What can I do now, in these hot August temperatures, to knock back this weed problem?
- I bought an azaleas from costco. How do I take care of it?
- Last year my maple tree started losing leaves. I investigated and found it full of earwigs under the bark. I killed the bugs. The bark is falling off, Can I save my tree? It is over 20 years old.
- When should I be pruning my roses?
- I live in rose park and am selecting trees to add to my backyard. I have full sun and dark rich soil. I want a good shade tree but am not sure what would be best. I have been looking at different types of maple trees but am wary about their growth rates. Are there any trees that you could recommend?