Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I purchased a white and pink dog wood from the nursery at Lowe's. We planted it according to directions about two weeks ago and I don't see any new growth on it at all yet. I broke off a few small twigs and it is still green. They are only about 4 feet high and were in pots when purchased. There were no leaves on them only bare branches. How long does it take to see if they are growing properly since they are guaranteed if they die. Thank you
Rate This FAQ
I'm not sure where you planted these flowering dogwood trees. If you are in Utah, you have just planted a very demanding baby. Flowering dogwood (Cornus florida) prefer an acid soil that is usually cool and moist. This would not be a tree I would recommend for most of Utah. Our soil is naturally high pH and low in organic matter - practically opposite what these trees prefer.
In answer to your question, though, you can expect the tree to leaf out by the date of your average last frost. Transplanting may shock this tree and retard leaf emergence. Check the limbs every week (barely scratch the outer layer with a fingernail - if it is limber and green underneath, it's still alive). If branch tips test dead, move back along the branch towards the trunk and re-check.
If the tree doesn't leaf out by early summer, I would recommend that you return it for a refund because there is probably something wrong with it.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I live in Riverton, and have areas in my lawn that are brown and sparse. I planted the lawn from seed, a Kentucky bluegrass blend I bought from a nursery, at least 10 years ago. It grows well in cooler weather, but by summer it looks dead in patches and is stiff, not soft lawn for the kids to play on. I would like to put down some patch seed, but don't know what kind to use and how is the best way to plant. Do I have to take out the old lawn or can I just sprinkle it on and cover with a little bit of soil. Also, is there any way to control the wide leaf weed that grows throughout my lawn as well as the entire neighborhood?
- What tasks should I be doing now in my orchard?
- Do you have some advice on how to control mallow weeds? This has been an ongoing problem that even the powerful herbicides can only contain for just a few weeks. They always come back and completely overrun my garden. Any advice?
- We moved two Moab two years ago. My husband wants to grow a nut tree on the southwest side of our house that is just bare dirt and gravel now. We also want a shade tree (no fruits or nuts) in our front yard that faces South/Southeast to give our house shade. I am originally from Utah County and I miss my trees! Is there anything comparable that would grow here in the clay?
- Do you have tips for safely removing snow from sidewalks and driveways?
- I have a stand of scrub oak trees in my front yard with large growths on the trunks and branches on the trees. Do you know what this is and what I can do about them?
- Can you suggest some hardy perennials for my landscape?
- What is West Nile Virus and how can I keep myself safe from it?