Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I purchased a white and pink dog wood from the nursery at Lowe's. We planted it according to directions about two weeks ago and I don't see any new growth on it at all yet. I broke off a few small twigs and it is still green. They are only about 4 feet high and were in pots when purchased. There were no leaves on them only bare branches. How long does it take to see if they are growing properly since they are guaranteed if they die. Thank you
Rate This FAQ
I'm not sure where you planted these flowering dogwood trees. If you are in Utah, you have just planted a very demanding baby. Flowering dogwood (Cornus florida) prefer an acid soil that is usually cool and moist. This would not be a tree I would recommend for most of Utah. Our soil is naturally high pH and low in organic matter - practically opposite what these trees prefer.
In answer to your question, though, you can expect the tree to leaf out by the date of your average last frost. Transplanting may shock this tree and retard leaf emergence. Check the limbs every week (barely scratch the outer layer with a fingernail - if it is limber and green underneath, it's still alive). If branch tips test dead, move back along the branch towards the trunk and re-check.
If the tree doesn't leaf out by early summer, I would recommend that you return it for a refund because there is probably something wrong with it.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a lumpy yard. I have used a roller to flatten it with litte success I have also aerated and put seed as well and fertalizer down. What else can be done beforeI have to bring in a bobcat and start over?
- When will my flowering shrubs bloom, and when should I prune them and my evergreens?
- Can you suggest some hardy perennials for my landscape?
- Yesterday I applied "Scotts Turf Builder Plus 2 Weed Control" to my lawn. Unfortunately, I had the drop spreader set incorrectly. As a result I later discovered that I had accidently applied 4-5 times as much fertizer as specified on the bag. Will this damage the lawn? Is there anything I can do to prevent damage?
- I wanted to ask your opinion on fertilizing my lawn. I have so many weeds this year that I don't know what to do. The lawn is currently being fertilized by a company that comes out every 2-3 months. I started using them at the end last summer but maybe I selected the wrong company. Could you give me a recommendation on what to do to cut down on the weeds? Should I switch to a different company or do you recommend fertilizing myself? Thanks, Ryan
- I moved into my house, from out of state, with a yard full of weeds (dandelions, morning glories, etc.) When would be a good time to treat them? Before or after winter hits? Any suggestions of products to use? Thanks!
- I've noticed lots of caterpillars eating the leaves of my Birch trees--they look like inchworms. I've also seen them in neighbor's trees. Is there an infestation, and what can I do about it?
- What's killing Spruce and Pine trees in Utah?