Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I purchased a white and pink dog wood from the nursery at Lowe's. We planted it according to directions about two weeks ago and I don't see any new growth on it at all yet. I broke off a few small twigs and it is still green. They are only about 4 feet high and were in pots when purchased. There were no leaves on them only bare branches. How long does it take to see if they are growing properly since they are guaranteed if they die. Thank you
Rate This FAQ
I'm not sure where you planted these flowering dogwood trees. If you are in Utah, you have just planted a very demanding baby. Flowering dogwood (Cornus florida) prefer an acid soil that is usually cool and moist. This would not be a tree I would recommend for most of Utah. Our soil is naturally high pH and low in organic matter - practically opposite what these trees prefer.
In answer to your question, though, you can expect the tree to leaf out by the date of your average last frost. Transplanting may shock this tree and retard leaf emergence. Check the limbs every week (barely scratch the outer layer with a fingernail - if it is limber and green underneath, it's still alive). If branch tips test dead, move back along the branch towards the trunk and re-check.
If the tree doesn't leaf out by early summer, I would recommend that you return it for a refund because there is probably something wrong with it.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have grass growing in my myrtle(I know it has another name but I can't think of it) and I would like to get out of there. How can I do that without killing the ground cover that I have?
- How do I keep my lawn green during the hot summer months?
- I have 30 acres of dry farm high on the west side of cache valley and would like like to cover it with many trees that are likely to survive and will eventually provide shade. What should I plant?
- I want to make a portion of my yard a 0scape environment. How do I prepare the area so that the grass/weeds to not take over? What tools will I need to make the soil acceptable? What time of year is best to plant new plants for this area?
- Do you have tips for edging my lawn?
- I need to know what is best for killing vines? I have a fence full and I would like to get rid of them.
- I bought an azaleas from costco. How do I take care of it?
- I have many large 20-25 feet scrub oak trees on my property. I would like to thin and prune them from the tops in order for them to look like the lower scrub oak I have seen in the area, about 10-15 feet. How low can I cut them from their tops without injuring them and what is the best time of year to do so?