Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have just discovered an ant colony in my outdoor herb pot. I noticed soil build up around a couple of the herbs, thyme and rosemary and also soil build up around the drain holes. This pot is 20 inches across and 15 inches deep. How can I get rid of the ants without damaging the herbs or poisoning my family? Thank you.
Rate This FAQ
I recommend that you re-pot your herbs in fresh potting mix. The ant nest is probably inside the potting mix inside the pot. Take the entire container to the outer edge of your yard, furthest away from your home. Dump the whole thing, perhaps loosening the potting mix before tipping the container over. Shake the root systems of your herbs and dip them in a tub or bucket of water to remove all the ants. Clean out the container with a sharp stream of water and perhaps a scrub brush.
Prune the herb roots and perhaps the plant tops to make re-planting easier. Move the re-planted container to a new site just in case the ants were traveling to and from a nest somewhere nearby.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have planted tomato plants and used “Miracle Grow” the plants are big and healthy and have many blossoms but no tomatoes have as yet began to grow, we have seen different kinds of bees pollinating the blossoms at times. I have never had this happen before can you give us some advice concerning this? Thanks, Lewis Draney
- I recently moved here from western Oregon, where they grew wonderful blueberries. Is it possible to grow blueberries here in Utah, Salt Lake County specifically? I've noticed that blueberries are not sold at the farmers' markets, and so far I haven't seen any blueberry bushes being sold in nurseries.
- when should I plaint string beans
- Our tomato plants are out of control. They have out grown the cages and are taking over the garden. What can we do?
- What do I do about squash bugs?
- I would like to plant red seedless grapes. What time of the year and what variety work in Utah.
- I'd like to plant annual vines - do you have suggestions?
- When is the best time to plant annual flowers outside?