Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have just discovered an ant colony in my outdoor herb pot. I noticed soil build up around a couple of the herbs, thyme and rosemary and also soil build up around the drain holes. This pot is 20 inches across and 15 inches deep. How can I get rid of the ants without damaging the herbs or poisoning my family? Thank you.
Rate This FAQ
I recommend that you re-pot your herbs in fresh potting mix. The ant nest is probably inside the potting mix inside the pot. Take the entire container to the outer edge of your yard, furthest away from your home. Dump the whole thing, perhaps loosening the potting mix before tipping the container over. Shake the root systems of your herbs and dip them in a tub or bucket of water to remove all the ants. Clean out the container with a sharp stream of water and perhaps a scrub brush.
Prune the herb roots and perhaps the plant tops to make re-planting easier. Move the re-planted container to a new site just in case the ants were traveling to and from a nest somewhere nearby.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a dogwood shrub that did wonderfully well in the spring and is now slowly dying. I do deep watering once every two weeks and that seems to help but not enough. Any recommendations? It gets full sun most of the day.
- I found a spider in my garden among some weeds that matches the description of a black widow except it has three distinct white dots on its back.
- How can I store my fresh garden fruits and vegetables?
- I recently moved here from western Oregon, where they grew wonderful blueberries. Is it possible to grow blueberries here in Utah, Salt Lake County specifically? I've noticed that blueberries are not sold at the farmers' markets, and so far I haven't seen any blueberry bushes being sold in nurseries.
- I planted a garden last year and some animal kept eating it and we didn't yield anything from it. Aside from putting a fence around the garden is there anything else I could do?
- Do you have tips on pickling vegetables?
- What is the best way to get rid of morning glory in my lawn and garden?
- I am having frustrations on how to water my tomatoes, some people say every 8-10 days, some every 2. Mine that get hit by sprinklers every 2-3 days at least have small green fruit my other bushes have only little buds and no fruit can you please clarify. Also I have one cherry tomato in a pot should that be watered differently than garden tomatoes?