Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have just discovered an ant colony in my outdoor herb pot. I noticed soil build up around a couple of the herbs, thyme and rosemary and also soil build up around the drain holes. This pot is 20 inches across and 15 inches deep. How can I get rid of the ants without damaging the herbs or poisoning my family? Thank you.
Rate This FAQ
I recommend that you re-pot your herbs in fresh potting mix. The ant nest is probably inside the potting mix inside the pot. Take the entire container to the outer edge of your yard, furthest away from your home. Dump the whole thing, perhaps loosening the potting mix before tipping the container over. Shake the root systems of your herbs and dip them in a tub or bucket of water to remove all the ants. Clean out the container with a sharp stream of water and perhaps a scrub brush.
Prune the herb roots and perhaps the plant tops to make re-planting easier. Move the re-planted container to a new site just in case the ants were traveling to and from a nest somewhere nearby.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I'm wondering if there is a variety of Almond tree that grows well in Davis county. And, are they self-fertile? Can they be grown near nectarines? (I've read that they shouldn't be grown near peaches as they can develop a bitter taste.)
- I understand that Ace 55 tomatoes are low in acid. Is it unwise to use them for canning even if Lemon Juice is added?
- I would like to fertilize for weeds, but it has been so hot lately. Is there anything I can do this time of the year to kill weeds in my lawn, and if so, should I use granules or a spray?
- How much sunlight do my raspberries need?
- How do I get rid of snails and slugs?
- I would like to plant red seedless grapes. What time of the year and what variety work in Utah.
- How do I prune my raspberries?
- I planted six Euonymus alatus compacta (burning bush) two years ago. The have not done well. They leaf beautifully in the spring, and then, regardless how much water I give them, the leaves turn brown around the edges and they look like they are dying. The next spring, I start all over again. Any suggestions?