Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have just discovered an ant colony in my outdoor herb pot. I noticed soil build up around a couple of the herbs, thyme and rosemary and also soil build up around the drain holes. This pot is 20 inches across and 15 inches deep. How can I get rid of the ants without damaging the herbs or poisoning my family? Thank you.
Rate This FAQ
I recommend that you re-pot your herbs in fresh potting mix. The ant nest is probably inside the potting mix inside the pot. Take the entire container to the outer edge of your yard, furthest away from your home. Dump the whole thing, perhaps loosening the potting mix before tipping the container over. Shake the root systems of your herbs and dip them in a tub or bucket of water to remove all the ants. Clean out the container with a sharp stream of water and perhaps a scrub brush.
Prune the herb roots and perhaps the plant tops to make re-planting easier. Move the re-planted container to a new site just in case the ants were traveling to and from a nest somewhere nearby.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I prune my raspberries?
- When is the best time to plant annual flowers outside?
- A look at gardening catalog terms
- I planted six Euonymus alatus compacta (burning bush) two years ago. The have not done well. They leaf beautifully in the spring, and then, regardless how much water I give them, the leaves turn brown around the edges and they look like they are dying. The next spring, I start all over again. Any suggestions?
- I am wrapping up my garden for the year. I have been looking at adding horse manure to my garden soil to boost the organic matter in it. This year I added NutriMulch (turkey manure blend) and that worked out well, but was expensive. I'm concerned about the soil quality. I notice that it's pretty hard when in big dry clods. Would I be hurting my garden to add green horse manure now, and tilling it in? I've read a little about deficiencies in the soil because of too much horse manure, so if it's safe or even a good idea to add to a garden, how much is the right amount?
- How can I protect my raspberries from insect pests?
- They sell blueberry bushes at Costco. Can they grow in Utah and if so what kind of soil prep is needed?
- How can I store my fresh garden fruits and vegetables?