Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I've been told that broccoli gets worms or flies in it in this area. Is this true, and if so is there a pesticide or other way to prevent these pests?
Rate This FAQ
Common pests of broccoli include aphids, cabbage worm, and flea beetle. (See "Broccoli in the Garden" at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/HG_Garden_2005-01.pdf
Cabbage worm is actually a caterpillar, so it can be controlled with the organic control Bacillus thurengiensis (B.t.). One trade name of this product is "Dipel", but it is also available from other companies under different brand names. You can read about B.t. and how it works at the Colorado State University Extension website, http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/insect/05556.html
Flea beetles are common in spring, but usually cause insignificant amounts of damage, so control is not needed. Read more about flea beetles at Colorado State University Extension's webpage: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05592.html
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have had some raspberry plants in an area near my house (6' x 12') for over ten years and only in the spring do I try to gently loosen the soil with a gardening fork. I have not added anything other than some fruit oriented fertilizer or Miracle Grow in that time. Half of the section usually produces berries the size of the tip of your little finger and some grow as big as the tip of your thumb. The others are small and crumbly,which is okey of jam but not for visuals or overall production. I read that crumbliness is due to ovary infertility. How do I overcome that? Should I also be doing some thinning? Early this last spring I cut the canes to about three feet high but many of them are now close to eight feet long. What is the best way to deal with excess growth?
- Earlier this season we sprayed with Dursban, can we still eat the fruit?
- Putting more color in your landscape
- Can I grow strawberries in pots? Will they survive winter in pots? Will they produce if they only get afternoon sun? Where can I learn more on this topic?
- How can I protect my raspberries from insect pests?
- I left my carrots in the ground over winter this year without mulching them. Now it is May and they have resumed growing. We pulled a few out and, other than a little bit of woodiness they seem to be okay. Is it safe to eat carrots that have been left so long in the ground with no mulch?
- Do you have tips on pickling vegetables?
- I have a lot of earwigs and spiders in my garden and flower beds. How can I kill them off without making my bed unsafe to plant vegetables in the future?