Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I've been told that broccoli gets worms or flies in it in this area. Is this true, and if so is there a pesticide or other way to prevent these pests?
Rate This FAQ
Common pests of broccoli include aphids, cabbage worm, and flea beetle. (See "Broccoli in the Garden" at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/HG_Garden_2005-01.pdf
Cabbage worm is actually a caterpillar, so it can be controlled with the organic control Bacillus thurengiensis (B.t.). One trade name of this product is "Dipel", but it is also available from other companies under different brand names. You can read about B.t. and how it works at the Colorado State University Extension website, http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/insect/05556.html
Flea beetles are common in spring, but usually cause insignificant amounts of damage, so control is not needed. Read more about flea beetles at Colorado State University Extension's webpage: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05592.html
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have two Espalier apple trees and I would like to know when is the best time to prune them and should they produce every year or do they only produce by cycle's (every so many years)?
- Is the use of manure safe for the vegetable garden?
- Do you have nutrient information on fall vegetables?
- Our neighborhood has a group that meets once a month and learns about a topic of interest. In March we are planning on learning about gardening. My question is do you have volunteers who would be willing to come out and teach us about the basics of gardening(soil prep., planting times, pest control, etc.)?
- Do you have tips for growing water lilies?
- When, how and what do I spray my apple, cherry and peach trees with? I have inherited 7 fruit trees and I have never grown fruit trees before.
- What is an effective way to handle squash bugs? This is the second year they have killed all our winter squash plants?
- I live in Lindon and have heavy clay soil. I have been adding leaves and grass to my garden soil and it still compacts rapidly. Can I use the compost from the green and public waste dept. on a vegetable garden?