Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I've been told that broccoli gets worms or flies in it in this area. Is this true, and if so is there a pesticide or other way to prevent these pests?
Rate This FAQ
Common pests of broccoli include aphids, cabbage worm, and flea beetle. (See "Broccoli in the Garden" at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/HG_Garden_2005-01.pdf
Cabbage worm is actually a caterpillar, so it can be controlled with the organic control Bacillus thurengiensis (B.t.). One trade name of this product is "Dipel", but it is also available from other companies under different brand names. You can read about B.t. and how it works at the Colorado State University Extension website, http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/insect/05556.html
Flea beetles are common in spring, but usually cause insignificant amounts of damage, so control is not needed. Read more about flea beetles at Colorado State University Extension's webpage: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05592.html
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a lot of earwigs and spiders in my garden and flower beds. How can I kill them off without making my bed unsafe to plant vegetables in the future?
- My tomato plants look beautiful. However, most of the tomatoes, when they start to turn red, they also start to spoil and turn black from the bottom up. Why is that? Could it be bugs or too much water?
- I understand that Ace 55 tomatoes are low in acid. Is it unwise to use them for canning even if Lemon Juice is added?
- Do you have information on average last spring freeze dates in Utah?
- I have heard that black walnut sawdust should not be used in composting. People have told me it is poisonous to other plants. Is that true. I have several bushels of sawdust and would hate to send it to the land fill, but don't want to poison my garden either.
- when should I spray a cherry tree to get rid of the little white worms. What is the best product to use in controling this problem
- What is the secret to getting carrots to germinate?
- Tomato Questions Answered