Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I've been told that broccoli gets worms or flies in it in this area. Is this true, and if so is there a pesticide or other way to prevent these pests?
Rate This FAQ
Common pests of broccoli include aphids, cabbage worm, and flea beetle. (See "Broccoli in the Garden" at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/HG_Garden_2005-01.pdf
Cabbage worm is actually a caterpillar, so it can be controlled with the organic control Bacillus thurengiensis (B.t.). One trade name of this product is "Dipel", but it is also available from other companies under different brand names. You can read about B.t. and how it works at the Colorado State University Extension website, http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/insect/05556.html
Flea beetles are common in spring, but usually cause insignificant amounts of damage, so control is not needed. Read more about flea beetles at Colorado State University Extension's webpage: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05592.html
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- By the end of June, our apple tree looked sickly, with faded, curling brown leaves. I am wondering if the leaves look the way they do because my husband doesn't spray regularly or because the tree is not getting enough water in our arid climate. When he does stick to a schedule, it seems that the leaves don't look much better. This is a tree that is nearly twenty years old. I have never noticed an infestation of bugs. Apples have gotten smaller and smaller by the year, most have worms. The tree is in our front yard and I really would like it to look healthy, regardless of whether or not we get eatable fruit. What should we do?
- What is the secret to getting carrots to germinate?
- I want to put pre emergent down on my garden to control weeds and the tomato seeds from last year. The snow has melted. Is now the time and what should I use?
- What do I do about squash bugs?
- I understand that Ace 55 tomatoes are low in acid. Is it unwise to use them for canning even if Lemon Juice is added?
- I would like to fertilize for weeds, but it has been so hot lately. Is there anything I can do this time of the year to kill weeds in my lawn, and if so, should I use granules or a spray?
- We have planted tomato plants and used “Miracle Grow” the plants are big and healthy and have many blossoms but no tomatoes have as yet began to grow, we have seen different kinds of bees pollinating the blossoms at times. I have never had this happen before can you give us some advice concerning this? Thanks, Lewis Draney
- I would like to know the cost of nematodes for flower gardens and where I might be able to purchase some or have some mailed to me here in Farmington. Is there somewhere along the Wasatch Front I can purchase this type of nematodes?