Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I've been told that broccoli gets worms or flies in it in this area. Is this true, and if so is there a pesticide or other way to prevent these pests?
Rate This FAQ
Common pests of broccoli include aphids, cabbage worm, and flea beetle. (See "Broccoli in the Garden" at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/HG_Garden_2005-01.pdf
Cabbage worm is actually a caterpillar, so it can be controlled with the organic control Bacillus thurengiensis (B.t.). One trade name of this product is "Dipel", but it is also available from other companies under different brand names. You can read about B.t. and how it works at the Colorado State University Extension website, http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/insect/05556.html
Flea beetles are common in spring, but usually cause insignificant amounts of damage, so control is not needed. Read more about flea beetles at Colorado State University Extension's webpage: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05592.html
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- do ants eat one another?
- Are there any crops I can plant now (mid-July) in my garden as my early vegetables finish? My sugar snap peas, onions, beets, spinach, etc. have all left empty space in the garden I'd like to put to use. What are the best choices for fall harvest in the Salt Lake Valley?
- My raspberry bushes are gigantic and are not producing berries. How do I prune them to avoid this? Can they be pruned right now or do I wait for Fall?
- Is there some place in the Salt Lake area where I can donate my garden snails? I read that thrushes and ducks (along with many other critters such as beetles, which I don't want to introduce into my garden) will eat snails. I know I could kill the snails using a variety of methods, but it seems like somebody (not me!) might like to eat them. Ideas?
- We just moved to Davis County and want to plant our first garden. What things will grow well? What should we avoid? When should we plant? Any other basic tips about our area would be appreciated.
- How do I store my summer bulbs?
- I planted a garden last year and some animal kept eating it and we didn't yield anything from it. Aside from putting a fence around the garden is there anything else I could do?
- I left my carrots in the ground over winter this year without mulching them. Now it is May and they have resumed growing. We pulled a few out and, other than a little bit of woodiness they seem to be okay. Is it safe to eat carrots that have been left so long in the ground with no mulch?