Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We bought a new home with no turf established in the backyard. Do you offer any advice for putting in our own yard?
Rate This FAQ
Establishing a lawn can be a daunting task - consider and discuss your needs and resources before deciding how to proceed.
How much money are you willing to spend? How much work and time can you devote to this job? What is your timeline? What other resources are available to you (truck, trailer, tools, etc.)
The most economical way to grow a lawn is to direct seed. You can buy seed in bulk from Granite Seed in Lehi or many other sources. Plant a blend of grass cultivars so that you will have some grass seedlings emerging quickly (to help prevent soil erosion and seed runoff), some cultivars greening up early in spring, and some cultivar(s) tolerating hot summer temperatures.
Read the USU Extension publication "Turfgrass Cultivars for Utah" at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Grass_2004_01.pdf
University of Minnesota's Sustainable Urban Landscape Information Series describes lawn establishment very well. See their webpage at http://www.sustland.umn.edu/maint/newlawn.htm This webpage will help you decide your approach to establishing your new lawn.
One note - when possible, amend native soil with good quality organic matter. The best buy is compost from the landfill (both the Trans-Jordan and the Salt Lake City landfill sell compost). However thickly you apply the organic matter, mix it into the native soil twice that depth. This will pay off with a more vigorous and healthy lawn down the road.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Is There Any Way To Eliminate Borers That Leave What Looks Like Sawdust At The Base Of Our Aspen Trees?
- My vinca minor has numerous yellow leaves this year. My husband keeps dumping water on it, thinking it needs more since it is yellow and at some instances brown. Are we watering it too much, or is it missing a nutrient that needs to be added? HELP!
- I have grass growing in my myrtle(I know it has another name but I can't think of it) and I would like to get out of there. How can I do that without killing the ground cover that I have?
- When is the best time of year to reseed my lawn? The weeds and spurge are out of control. Should I rototill the lawn to remove all the weeds first?
- Do you have tips for edging my lawn?
- I have a very large Honey Locust tree on the West side of my house. It is dropping leaves and has a lost more dead branches then the previous years. What problems should I look for and what can I do to save this precious tree?
- we would like to plant a cherry tree in our backyard for the fruit and the shade. what would be the proper kind to purchase,we like sweet cherries.
- Do you have information on soil testing?