Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How can I safely dispose of excess pesticides, including herbicides?
Rate This FAQ
Pesticide use requires disposal of either excess pesticides or empty pesticide containers. You can reduce the pesticides or pesticide containers you need to dispose of if you follow these practices:
* Purchase only the amount of the pesticide needed for a single season.
* Calculate the amount of pesticide needed to treat the site. Mix that amount and apply it with properly calibrated equipment. Carefully mix and load so there is no spillage.
* Minimize liquid wastes, including spray material left after an application and the water used to wash and rinse the spray equipment. Use liquids according to application directions.
* Protect pesticides so they remain useful and the labels are legible. Store them in a cool location, out of the sun and in locked cabinets. Keep them in their original containers and out of reach of children or animals. Sunlight, moisture and excessive heat or cold can destroy pesticide effectiveness. Use older products first.
If you have on hand more than you need:
* Read the storage and disposal section of the label for special disposal instructions.
* If label directions allow, apply excess pesticides in a second application.
* If you cannot use all yourself, consider giving the pesticide, in its original container, to another applicator to use according to label directions.
* See if your county and city health departments accept home and garden pesticide products for disposal.
* Safely store pesticides until an acceptable method for disposal is available. This may involve storage for extended times and safe storage is difficult.
* See if there are requirements for the proper cleaning of pesticide containers before disposal. Directions are in the storage and disposal section of the label. Most commonly, cleaning is accomplished by triple rinsing containers with water or shaking out paper or plastic bags. To triple rinse:
* Empty pesticide container into spray tank and allow container to drain for 30 seconds.
* Add rinse water to container so it is onefourth full.
* Rinse container thoroughly, pour rinse water into spray tank and drain for 30 seconds. Do this procedure three times.
* DO NOT pour pesticides down the drain or into water.
* DO NOT pour pesticides on the ground.
* DO NOT burn excess pesticides.
* DO NOT use pesticides for other than their labeled uses.
* DO NOT discard pesticide containers in unapproved areas.
* DO NOT reuse pesticide containers.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- how many eggplants do you get from one plant.
- I planted a garden last year and some animal kept eating it and we didn't yield anything from it. Aside from putting a fence around the garden is there anything else I could do?
- My tomato plants look beautiful. However, most of the tomatoes, when they start to turn red, they also start to spoil and turn black from the bottom up. Why is that? Could it be bugs or too much water?
- I still have a lot of green tomatoes on the vine but it looks like frost is getting the better of them (the vines, not the fruit yet) the past few nights. I plan on using the tomatoes for Chili Sauce. If I pick the green tomatoes are they going to ripen inside? Is there a better way to get them ripened to use for chili sauce?
- How do I get rid of snails and slugs?
- I have some shrubs that have been dying off in a wierd manner. Just sections at a time will completly die in a matter of a day or so, not even time to try and treat it. There are no outward signs of bugs and the rest of the shrub will be perfectly healthy. It has done this to more than one of my shrubs and also done this to more than one kind of shrub. It started last summer where I lost part of a couple and one hole shrub. I thought I had it taken care of by the end of the summer but when I mowed last week for the first time I noticed I have almost totaly lost another and there are spots on some others. The plants have been here for as many as 10 years or so and are very well taken care of. The only thing I can think of is about 3 years ago I put new plastic down and new bark, could the new plastic cause this.
- Are pine needles a good top mulch or addition to my compost pile? Others have said pine needles are poisonous. I live in Washington Terrace and my soil is sandy by nature.
- When is the best time for transplanting Mint. I have some that is in a bad location and I need to move it.