Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live on 25 acres on the border of Summit and Wasatch Counties at an elevation of 7,000 ft. I need to add some trees to the landscape both evergreen and shade? What are good choices for my high and cold location?
Rate This FAQ
USU Extension published an excellent booklet that will help you select trees for your needs. It's titled "Selecting and Planting Landscape Trees", and it's available at your county Exension office or online at http://extension.usu.edu/forestry/HomeTown/Select_SelectionandPlanting.htm
Find trees that are hardy to USDA Hardiness Zone 4 or colder (lower numbers are hardier).
A few suggestions:
Evergreen - white fir, Utah juniper, Rocky Mountain juniper, blue spruce, lodgepole pine, pinyon pine, limber pine, Austrian pine, scotch pine, Douglas fir
Deciduous - Rocky Mountain maple, seedless boxelder ('Baron'), common hackberry, white ash, green ash, honeylocust ('Moraine' won't make pods), Kentucky coffeetree, butternut, white mulberry, bur oak, linden, Chinese elm (not Siberian elm)
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have about an acre of commercial property that I want to control all vegetation. Is there a good ground sterilizer on the market? Where can I purchase it?
- Last year my maple tree started losing leaves. I investigated and found it full of earwigs under the bark. I killed the bugs. The bark is falling off, Can I save my tree? It is over 20 years old.
- When is the best time of year to reseed my lawn? The weeds and spurge are out of control. Should I rototill the lawn to remove all the weeds first?
- We live in Riverton with heavy clay soil. Will gypsum pellets help the soil so water does not run off so much? Can gypsum be applied on top of existing grass? In soil flower beds? In vegetable gardens? Is Utelite better than gypsum? Thank you.
- When is the best time to plant my grass in the spring? And how much fertilizer should I put on if any?
- When do I spray my lawn for weeds?
- Does it help to aerate in the spring and fall? Also if there is a lot of dead grass and thatch build up would it be beneficial to power rake in the spring?
- There are yellow jackets in my yard, how do I control them?