Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live on 25 acres on the border of Summit and Wasatch Counties at an elevation of 7,000 ft. I need to add some trees to the landscape both evergreen and shade? What are good choices for my high and cold location?
Rate This FAQ
USU Extension published an excellent booklet that will help you select trees for your needs. It's titled "Selecting and Planting Landscape Trees", and it's available at your county Exension office or online at http://extension.usu.edu/forestry/HomeTown/Select_SelectionandPlanting.htm
Find trees that are hardy to USDA Hardiness Zone 4 or colder (lower numbers are hardier).
A few suggestions:
Evergreen - white fir, Utah juniper, Rocky Mountain juniper, blue spruce, lodgepole pine, pinyon pine, limber pine, Austrian pine, scotch pine, Douglas fir
Deciduous - Rocky Mountain maple, seedless boxelder ('Baron'), common hackberry, white ash, green ash, honeylocust ('Moraine' won't make pods), Kentucky coffeetree, butternut, white mulberry, bur oak, linden, Chinese elm (not Siberian elm)
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How late in the fall should I water trees and shrubs?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- I live in Toquerville, 20 miles north of St. George, but still just as hot. I'd like to plant a medium to large tree in my front yard to shade the garage a little. There is no grass, no regular water. I will be watering it by hand/hose until it's established & then would like something that could tolerate hot, dry summers. Maybe the Texas Honey Mesquite or African Sumac. Do you have any suggestions for me?
- Something is digging up my bulbs (tulips, daffs, etc.) and eating them. I know I have a squirrel in my yard, but do they eat bulbs? What else would dig things up and eat them?
- What do the numbers on the fertilizer package mean?
- we would like to plant a cherry tree in our backyard for the fruit and the shade. what would be the proper kind to purchase,we like sweet cherries.
- My pear tree has dead stems that curl downward. What is happening?
- What trees are recommended for West Jordan (clay soil).