Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a lumpy yard. I have used a roller to flatten it with litte success I have also aerated and put seed as well and fertalizer down. What else can be done beforeI have to bring in a bobcat and start over?
Rate This FAQ
If the "lumps" are caused by earthworm castings, see the USU Extension publication on this topic at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/HG_Lawn_2005-01.pdf
If you're having trouble with pocket gophers, see the publication at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/NR_WS_005.pdf
Lawns that have been taken over by clump-type grasses may also feel lumpy. In this case, you may need to start over. Use a vertical mower then re-seed with a good turfgrass cultivar. See the USU Extension publication on turfgrass cultivars at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Grass_2004_01.pdf
Aerating and top-dressing with fine-texture organic matter will help even out the soil surface over time.
Submit Your Suggestion
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When do I spray my lawn for weeds?
- I have three large Austrian Pine trees that I would like to xeriscape under. Do you have suggestions for low-water use plants that will grow in mostly shady conditions under pine trees?
- I want to replace a sickly globe willow tree in my front, south-facing, sloping lawn. There are underground utility (water, gas, sewer) and irrigation lines running through the area. What trees would work best in this area?
- I have a large Pinion pine that we trimmed back the lower branches on last fall, The grass is not doing well there due to limited light, could I add a flower bed there instead, and if so what type of plants would do well in my VERY clay soil. Also isnt' there something about not planting flowers over/next to a tree trunk? thanks
- Does it help to aerate in the spring and fall? Also if there is a lot of dead grass and thatch build up would it be beneficial to power rake in the spring?
- How late in the fall should I water trees and shrubs?
- My sycamore tree has brown-reddish spots along the leaf veins. What is it?
- I've neglected to do my "last mow" up to this point. We've already had several nights of light frost. My grass is long but I worry about causing even more damage by mowing at this late juncture, mid-November. Are there any risks to mowing grass after the first few frosts?