Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a lumpy yard. I have used a roller to flatten it with litte success I have also aerated and put seed as well and fertalizer down. What else can be done beforeI have to bring in a bobcat and start over?
Rate This FAQ
If the "lumps" are caused by earthworm castings, see the USU Extension publication on this topic at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/HG_Lawn_2005-01.pdf
If you're having trouble with pocket gophers, see the publication at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/NR_WS_005.pdf
Lawns that have been taken over by clump-type grasses may also feel lumpy. In this case, you may need to start over. Use a vertical mower then re-seed with a good turfgrass cultivar. See the USU Extension publication on turfgrass cultivars at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Grass_2004_01.pdf
Aerating and top-dressing with fine-texture organic matter will help even out the soil surface over time.
Submit Your Suggestion
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When is the best time of year to reseed my lawn? The weeds and spurge are out of control. Should I rototill the lawn to remove all the weeds first?
- When is the best time to plant my grass in the spring? And how much fertilizer should I put on if any?
- We will need to establish some native plants. How much do we have to water Greasewood, Four-wing Saltbush, Rabbitbrush, Green Ephedra, and Spiny Hopsage in #10 containers? We also have two trees, a 5'Utah Juniper and 3' tall Gambel Oaks to water. I understand it best to lightly water for a year and then wean them off in the wet season. Is this correct?
- I have a stand of scrub oak trees in my front yard with large growths on the trunks and branches on the trees. Do you know what this is and what I can do about them?
- Why are my cherries wormy?
- I am purchasing a 30 year old home with three large (15+ feet) blue spruce trees growing in the front yard. I would prefer not to cut them down, is it possible to transplant a large blue spruce in Utah? If so, who would do it and who would want them?
- Why do maple tree and burning bush leaf edges turn brown in mid-summer?
- I have several Dwarf Blue Arctic Willows in my yard. This year they were full of some kind of wasp or bee. I waited until winter and the leaves dropped off to see if there was a hive or nest and there does not seem to be one. In looking for the nest I noticed some small black bugs on the wood. What should I do, if anything and are the two pests related in any way?