Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We just moved to Davis County and want to plant our first garden. What things will grow well? What should we avoid? When should we plant? Any other basic tips about our area would be appreciated.
Rate This FAQ
Usually frost dates are the limiting factors for most plants, but there are cool season vegetables such as spinach, beets and carrots that can be planted in early spring that can withstand some cold temperatures whereas vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, and corn need warm soil temperatures to survive.
Not knowing where you live, I will send you the link to the Utah Climate Center which has a listing of weather stations throughout Utah and you can find one near you to find out the average last spring frost and first fall frost dates.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Should I cut back my perennials for winter? High Country Gardens says to wait until early-mid spring, but that is contrary to what I have been doing. It is true that I suffer some loss each spring.
- I understand that Ace 55 tomatoes are low in acid. Is it unwise to use them for canning even if Lemon Juice is added?
- I live in Dayton,Id. I seem to have a lot of trouble with blossom end rot on my tomatoes. What could I be doing wrong? To much water not enough or wrong fertilizer? Need suggestions.
- I would like to know the cost of nematodes for flower gardens and where I might be able to purchase some or have some mailed to me here in Farmington. Is there somewhere along the Wasatch Front I can purchase this type of nematodes?
- I have a reliance peach tree, 3rd year in the ground, and this year I noticed almost all of the branch tips were black, down about 3 inches. Some of the leaves started to brown spot and turn yellow, eventually falling. Also some of the branched produce fruit, but no foliage, the fruit is very weak and just falls in a light breeze. What can I do to correct this ?
- When do I pick my watermelon?
- when should I spray a cherry tree to get rid of the little white worms. What is the best product to use in controling this problem
- Tomato Questions Answered