Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We just moved to Davis County and want to plant our first garden. What things will grow well? What should we avoid? When should we plant? Any other basic tips about our area would be appreciated.
Rate This FAQ
Usually frost dates are the limiting factors for most plants, but there are cool season vegetables such as spinach, beets and carrots that can be planted in early spring that can withstand some cold temperatures whereas vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, and corn need warm soil temperatures to survive.
Not knowing where you live, I will send you the link to the Utah Climate Center which has a listing of weather stations throughout Utah and you can find one near you to find out the average last spring frost and first fall frost dates.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have 4 lovely crenshaw melons on my home garden vines -- 1 large, 2 medium, and 1 small. None of them have gone yellow/white yet! We survived the snow flakes last weekend (I covered everything), but I see we are about to get another "hit" this weekend! Is there ANYthing I can do to speed up their ripening?? I have cut back my watering of the vines, but sprinklers still go on automatically in the morning. Would any of the "usual" things people do to ripen melons indoors (paper bags, put them with a banana, etc.) do any good while they are still on the vine?? From everything I have read, if they are picked while they are still green, they will never ripen -- is this true? If I keep them well covered during our few nights of 32-33 due this weekend, will they survive on the vine to ripen?
- Tomato Questions Answered
- I have two Espalier apple trees and I would like to know when is the best time to prune them and should they produce every year or do they only produce by cycle's (every so many years)?
- How do I get rid of squash bug?
- I am looking for information on when pumkins are ripe.
- We have been putting the dog poop in the composte pile. Is this going to be bad for our composte or for our garden?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- How do I get rid of morning glory?