Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We just moved to Davis County and want to plant our first garden. What things will grow well? What should we avoid? When should we plant? Any other basic tips about our area would be appreciated.
Rate This FAQ
Usually frost dates are the limiting factors for most plants, but there are cool season vegetables such as spinach, beets and carrots that can be planted in early spring that can withstand some cold temperatures whereas vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, and corn need warm soil temperatures to survive.
Not knowing where you live, I will send you the link to the Utah Climate Center which has a listing of weather stations throughout Utah and you can find one near you to find out the average last spring frost and first fall frost dates.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How can I store my fresh garden fruits and vegetables?
- Do you have information on spring-blooming perennials?
- What is the secret to getting carrots to germinate?
- How do I prune my raspberries?
- I planted 2 plum trees several years ago. The 3rd year I had a huge crop. The next 2 years the leaves had what I think is peach leaf curl or at least that's how it made the leaves look. I sprayed both years with no improvement. This year I've also sprayed but after blossoming, the leafing is very sickly, the leaves done even really form, they just make tiny clusters of pale spikes that look like tiny curled leaves. Is there anything I can so short of digging them out? Can they be saved or I am better off just starting from scratch? How to I make sure what is there doesn't contaminate the new trees? Thanks.
- I planted a garden last year and some animal kept eating it and we didn't yield anything from it. Aside from putting a fence around the garden is there anything else I could do?
- when should I plaint string beans
- Should I cut back my perennials for winter? High Country Gardens says to wait until early-mid spring, but that is contrary to what I have been doing. It is true that I suffer some loss each spring.