Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We just moved to Davis County and want to plant our first garden. What things will grow well? What should we avoid? When should we plant? Any other basic tips about our area would be appreciated.
Rate This FAQ
Usually frost dates are the limiting factors for most plants, but there are cool season vegetables such as spinach, beets and carrots that can be planted in early spring that can withstand some cold temperatures whereas vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, and corn need warm soil temperatures to survive.
Not knowing where you live, I will send you the link to the Utah Climate Center which has a listing of weather stations throughout Utah and you can find one near you to find out the average last spring frost and first fall frost dates.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I planted 2 plum trees several years ago. The 3rd year I had a huge crop. The next 2 years the leaves had what I think is peach leaf curl or at least that's how it made the leaves look. I sprayed both years with no improvement. This year I've also sprayed but after blossoming, the leafing is very sickly, the leaves done even really form, they just make tiny clusters of pale spikes that look like tiny curled leaves. Is there anything I can so short of digging them out? Can they be saved or I am better off just starting from scratch? How to I make sure what is there doesn't contaminate the new trees? Thanks.
- How can I store my fresh garden fruits and vegetables?
- I was wondering if you could tell me where to find the planting schedule for Utah. Could you also tell me gardening plants that tend to grow better than others here in Utah? Thank you
- I have just discovered an ant colony in my outdoor herb pot. I noticed soil build up around a couple of the herbs, thyme and rosemary and also soil build up around the drain holes. This pot is 20 inches across and 15 inches deep. How can I get rid of the ants without damaging the herbs or poisoning my family? Thank you.
- I planted my tomatoes last Thursday, May 22. It was just before all this rain and colder air came in. Now all the plants leaves are turning yellow/cream color, except for the veins are staying green. Some neighbors said they might have had too much water, I have never had tomatoes do this before.
- I have a dogwood shrub that did wonderfully well in the spring and is now slowly dying. I do deep watering once every two weeks and that seems to help but not enough. Any recommendations? It gets full sun most of the day.
- I am looking for information on when pumkins are ripe.
- What is the secret to getting carrots to germinate?