Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We just moved to Davis County and want to plant our first garden. What things will grow well? What should we avoid? When should we plant? Any other basic tips about our area would be appreciated.
Rate This FAQ
Usually frost dates are the limiting factors for most plants, but there are cool season vegetables such as spinach, beets and carrots that can be planted in early spring that can withstand some cold temperatures whereas vegetables like tomatoes, peppers, and corn need warm soil temperatures to survive.
Not knowing where you live, I will send you the link to the Utah Climate Center which has a listing of weather stations throughout Utah and you can find one near you to find out the average last spring frost and first fall frost dates.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- when should I spray a cherry tree to get rid of the little white worms. What is the best product to use in controling this problem
- What is the secret to getting carrots to germinate?
- I have heard that black walnut sawdust should not be used in composting. People have told me it is poisonous to other plants. Is that true. I have several bushels of sawdust and would hate to send it to the land fill, but don't want to poison my garden either.
- Tomato tutorial
- Our tomato plants are out of control. They have out grown the cages and are taking over the garden. What can we do?
- I have some pumpkins that are still green (October 9th). Is there any way they will become ripe?
- What's eating your raspberries besides you?
- I have cucumber plants that I started growing from seeds in march of this year. I replanted about 2 weeks ago into a 20 gallon tub. I put the plant in a back room where the sun comes in alot, it started growing really well then i put the plant out side during the day and bring it in at night. Since then the leaves have started turning brown on the edges and it doesn't look very good. I have a tomato plant also and it is doing just fine, its very green and getting bigger by the minute. Do you have any suggestions for me?