Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
when should I plaint string beans
Rate This FAQ
Beans are a warm season crop and are tender to frost. Wait until chances of frost are past before planting your beans. In Salt Lake and Utah valleys, mid-May is usually considered "safe" to plant tender vegetables.
Beans germinate best when the soil temperature is between 60 and 85 degrees F. If your soil is warm enough, you can go ahead and plant your beans before mid-May. Then, if frost is possible, cover the bean rows with a floating row cover or frost blanket to help hold the ground's heat in for the night.
In the USU Extension publication "Home Vegetable Garden: Variety Recommendations for Utah", the last page holds a table of recommended planting dates for most vegetables.
Here is a link to that Fact Sheet: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_313.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a reliance peach tree, 3rd year in the ground, and this year I noticed almost all of the branch tips were black, down about 3 inches. Some of the leaves started to brown spot and turn yellow, eventually falling. Also some of the branched produce fruit, but no foliage, the fruit is very weak and just falls in a light breeze. What can I do to correct this ?
- I want to put pre emergent down on my garden to control weeds and the tomato seeds from last year. The snow has melted. Is now the time and what should I use?
- Our neighborhood has a group that meets once a month and learns about a topic of interest. In March we are planning on learning about gardening. My question is do you have volunteers who would be willing to come out and teach us about the basics of gardening(soil prep., planting times, pest control, etc.)?
- Winter Vegetable Gardening
- This is my first year planting carrots. Should I try to germinate them indoors before planting outside? Also, is it too soon to plant them outside?
- Is it possible to eradicate puncture vine by sterilizing the soil with solar energy through plastic or glass?
- What is the secret to getting carrots to germinate?
- How do I get rid of morning glory?