Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
when should I plaint string beans
Rate This FAQ
Beans are a warm season crop and are tender to frost. Wait until chances of frost are past before planting your beans. In Salt Lake and Utah valleys, mid-May is usually considered "safe" to plant tender vegetables.
Beans germinate best when the soil temperature is between 60 and 85 degrees F. If your soil is warm enough, you can go ahead and plant your beans before mid-May. Then, if frost is possible, cover the bean rows with a floating row cover or frost blanket to help hold the ground's heat in for the night.
In the USU Extension publication "Home Vegetable Garden: Variety Recommendations for Utah", the last page holds a table of recommended planting dates for most vegetables.
Here is a link to that Fact Sheet: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_313.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do you have tips on pickling vegetables?
- What are some good perennials that flower all summer and do well in Utah?
- When should I spray my apple and apricat trees to prevent worms in the fruit? What product should I use? I planted a plum tree last fall, what should I do for it now?
- The last few years, I have had persistent grass growth in my vegetable garden. I till the area each fall and spring, and pull out and discard all the vegetable plants. For the first couple of months, its easy to control the weeds and grass, then about 2/3 of the way through the summer, the grass starts to take over. By the time I pull out the plants in the fall, I practically have a lawn underneath them. Now that everything is pulled up, should I spray Round-up or another grass killer on the entire garden area? Or is there a better way to control the grass?
- I understand you have a service where you email spraying and care schedules to homeowners for home gardens and fruit trees. If so I would like to sign up. Please send me the info. Thanks, Mike
- When is the best time for transplanting Mint. I have some that is in a bad location and I need to move it.
- Do you have information on water-wise annuals?
- Can I grow strawberries in pots? Will they survive winter in pots? Will they produce if they only get afternoon sun? Where can I learn more on this topic?