Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
when should I plaint string beans
Rate This FAQ
Beans are a warm season crop and are tender to frost. Wait until chances of frost are past before planting your beans. In Salt Lake and Utah valleys, mid-May is usually considered "safe" to plant tender vegetables.
Beans germinate best when the soil temperature is between 60 and 85 degrees F. If your soil is warm enough, you can go ahead and plant your beans before mid-May. Then, if frost is possible, cover the bean rows with a floating row cover or frost blanket to help hold the ground's heat in for the night.
In the USU Extension publication "Home Vegetable Garden: Variety Recommendations for Utah", the last page holds a table of recommended planting dates for most vegetables.
Here is a link to that Fact Sheet: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_313.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have some pumpkins that are still green (October 9th). Is there any way they will become ripe?
- How do I control field bind weed?
- Is it possible to eradicate puncture vine by sterilizing the soil with solar energy through plastic or glass?
- My garden is infested with what I believe are burrowing wolf spiders. I know that they are not dangerous, but there are a LOT of them and they scare me and keep me from getting my gardening done. Is there a safe way to get rid of them?
- I recently moved here from western Oregon, where they grew wonderful blueberries. Is it possible to grow blueberries here in Utah, Salt Lake County specifically? I've noticed that blueberries are not sold at the farmers' markets, and so far I haven't seen any blueberry bushes being sold in nurseries.
- Can I grow strawberries in pots? Will they survive winter in pots? Will they produce if they only get afternoon sun? Where can I learn more on this topic?
- I am looking for information on when pumkins are ripe.
- I purchased several pepper plants from a local nursery this spring one of them I do not know if the fruit is a pepper. They are black fruit about the size of a grape, full of seeds, and they do not smell hot, all the others are jalapeno.