Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Box Elder bugs have emerged already and are breeding. They get into the house and crawl all over the west facing exterior house wallsand are all over the vegetable garden beds. How do I erradicate them?
Rate This FAQ
USU Extension has a Fact Sheet about Boxelder bugs. You can find it at this link: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/boxelder-bugs06.pdf
These bugs are very difficult to control. Fortunately, they don't harm people, homes, or plants. But they can be a terrible nuisance.
One suggested control is to drown them. Line up some plastic trays underneath the wall where the bugs are congregating, then spray water down the wall so that the bugs are washed down into the trays of water. Because they don't swim well, most of them will be trapped and drowned.
To keep them out of your home, seal all cracks and crevices. You can use sticky traps in windowsills to help catch some.
Submit Your Suggestion
Boxelder Bug Management.
Please read over our fact sheet for more information . In general, they are very difficult (if not impossible) to eradicate. Boxelder bugs are considered nuisance pests, but sometimes they can damage fruit. Mostly they accidentally move into homes for warmth during the winter and that’s when they really become a bother.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How can I prevent timber theft on my forest property?
- I have 1/8 inch long, tiny beetle looking bugs in all of my light fixtures. Do you know what they might be and how I would get rid of them?
- Do you have tips on table etiquette?
- How can I control the large numbers of insects congregating on the exterior of my house?
- We recently moved to Utah and live in Uintah Highlands. The past couple of weeks we have noticed an incredibly high concentration of a black and red beetle looking flying insect at our windows and on our house. When I say high concentration, I mean too many to count. We are not familiar with these insects and are wondering how we can get rid of them.
- Tricks for treating halloween stains.
- How can I add some color to my home now that the holiday decor is gone?
- What should I do if I encounter a rattlesnake?