Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Last year I had a problem in the fall with my tomatoes cracking. I have heard that it is because of uneven watering conditions. I have also been told to plant tomatoes that are less apt to crack. Can you recommend a variety that is less likely to crack? Thanks.
Rate This FAQ
Growing tomatoes is much easier if you have deep, rich soil. In Utah, of course, that is very rare if it even exists at all. So, build a raised bed with native soil enriched with high quality composted organic matter. Raise the bed about 12 inches. After you plant your tomatoes, cover the soil with mulch about 2 to 3 inches deep. Prepared this way, your soil will provide the right balance of soil moisture and aeration and maintain the consistency needed to avoid cracking.
Here are some tomato varieties that claim to be crack resistant:
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have two Espalier apple trees and I would like to know when is the best time to prune them and should they produce every year or do they only produce by cycle's (every so many years)?
- I planted my tomatoes last Thursday, May 22. It was just before all this rain and colder air came in. Now all the plants leaves are turning yellow/cream color, except for the veins are staying green. Some neighbors said they might have had too much water, I have never had tomatoes do this before.
- how many eggplants do you get from one plant.
- do ants eat one another?
- I planted tomatoes last weekend because it looked like we were going to have warm weather, but yikes! it says it will snow tonight. How can I protect my little tomato plants?
- What are some good strawberry varieties to grow in our area? I would like both june-bearing and ever-bearing
- We just moved to Davis County and want to plant our first garden. What things will grow well? What should we avoid? When should we plant? Any other basic tips about our area would be appreciated.
- when should I spray a cherry tree to get rid of the little white worms. What is the best product to use in controling this problem