Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Last year I had a problem in the fall with my tomatoes cracking. I have heard that it is because of uneven watering conditions. I have also been told to plant tomatoes that are less apt to crack. Can you recommend a variety that is less likely to crack? Thanks.
Rate This FAQ
Growing tomatoes is much easier if you have deep, rich soil. In Utah, of course, that is very rare if it even exists at all. So, build a raised bed with native soil enriched with high quality composted organic matter. Raise the bed about 12 inches. After you plant your tomatoes, cover the soil with mulch about 2 to 3 inches deep. Prepared this way, your soil will provide the right balance of soil moisture and aeration and maintain the consistency needed to avoid cracking.
Here are some tomato varieties that claim to be crack resistant:
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I still have a lot of green tomatoes on the vine but it looks like frost is getting the better of them (the vines, not the fruit yet) the past few nights. I plan on using the tomatoes for Chili Sauce. If I pick the green tomatoes are they going to ripen inside? Is there a better way to get them ripened to use for chili sauce?
- I need info on the care and maintenance of a Christmas Poinsetta. In the past I have lost them and really wish to keep this one alive to add to my current household of plants.
- I am having frustrations on how to water my tomatoes, some people say every 8-10 days, some every 2. Mine that get hit by sprinklers every 2-3 days at least have small green fruit my other bushes have only little buds and no fruit can you please clarify. Also I have one cherry tomato in a pot should that be watered differently than garden tomatoes?
- We just moved to Davis County and want to plant our first garden. What things will grow well? What should we avoid? When should we plant? Any other basic tips about our area would be appreciated.
- I am looking for information on when pumkins are ripe.
- When should I spray my apple and apricat trees to prevent worms in the fruit? What product should I use? I planted a plum tree last fall, what should I do for it now?
- When can I plant peas? Should the peas be soaked before planting them?
- How can I protect my raspberries from insect pests?