Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Last year I had a problem in the fall with my tomatoes cracking. I have heard that it is because of uneven watering conditions. I have also been told to plant tomatoes that are less apt to crack. Can you recommend a variety that is less likely to crack? Thanks.
Rate This FAQ
Growing tomatoes is much easier if you have deep, rich soil. In Utah, of course, that is very rare if it even exists at all. So, build a raised bed with native soil enriched with high quality composted organic matter. Raise the bed about 12 inches. After you plant your tomatoes, cover the soil with mulch about 2 to 3 inches deep. Prepared this way, your soil will provide the right balance of soil moisture and aeration and maintain the consistency needed to avoid cracking.
Here are some tomato varieties that claim to be crack resistant:
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Tomato tutorial
- How do I protect my zukes and cukes from the annual onslaught of squash bugs?
- I have a lot of earwigs and spiders in my garden and flower beds. How can I kill them off without making my bed unsafe to plant vegetables in the future?
- My squash plants turned white and wilted this summer. What happened?
- I planted 2 plum trees several years ago. The 3rd year I had a huge crop. The next 2 years the leaves had what I think is peach leaf curl or at least that's how it made the leaves look. I sprayed both years with no improvement. This year I've also sprayed but after blossoming, the leafing is very sickly, the leaves done even really form, they just make tiny clusters of pale spikes that look like tiny curled leaves. Is there anything I can so short of digging them out? Can they be saved or I am better off just starting from scratch? How to I make sure what is there doesn't contaminate the new trees? Thanks.
- What are some good perennials that flower all summer and do well in Utah?
- I found a spider in my garden among some weeds that matches the description of a black widow except it has three distinct white dots on its back.
- How can I stay on top of yard and garden problems?