Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Last year I had a problem in the fall with my tomatoes cracking. I have heard that it is because of uneven watering conditions. I have also been told to plant tomatoes that are less apt to crack. Can you recommend a variety that is less likely to crack? Thanks.
Rate This FAQ
Growing tomatoes is much easier if you have deep, rich soil. In Utah, of course, that is very rare if it even exists at all. So, build a raised bed with native soil enriched with high quality composted organic matter. Raise the bed about 12 inches. After you plant your tomatoes, cover the soil with mulch about 2 to 3 inches deep. Prepared this way, your soil will provide the right balance of soil moisture and aeration and maintain the consistency needed to avoid cracking.
Here are some tomato varieties that claim to be crack resistant:
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Should I rotate my vegetable crops?
- Why do my tomatoes have brown spots on the bottom?
- When do I harvest my pumpkins or squash?
- I heard there is an organism in garden soil that can be harmful to pregnant women. Is this true?
- My garden is infested with what I believe are burrowing wolf spiders. I know that they are not dangerous, but there are a LOT of them and they scare me and keep me from getting my gardening done. Is there a safe way to get rid of them?
- A week ago I was given an easter lily with white trumpet flowers. The plant was very dry, so I watered it, and it dose seem healthy. The blossoms are gone. 1) What, where and when is the best time to plant outside? I would like to plant it in a pot with other flowers. 2) The spot is quite shady, gets a little sun, will it be ok? 3) How should I winterize the plant when it gets cold, so I can have it come out nicely next year? 4) Will it multiply, where I can get other plants? or, How can I plant other starts from the plant? 5) Is there literature on growing easter lilys in Utah? 6) Can I expect blossoms again this summer or fall?
- I want to find out about the master gardener program, my computer wont let me link, can you give me more info or a different link address or something. I want to know sign up date class times, location, cost and if aid is available. Thanks so much for your help.
- I planted tomatoes last weekend because it looked like we were going to have warm weather, but yikes! it says it will snow tonight. How can I protect my little tomato plants?